We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which island/location to pick?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
188 posts
18 reviews
Which island/location to pick?

Hi,

My husband and I will be there the first week of December (5-nights), and need opinion on which location to choose: Khao Lak - Pullman/Sarojin, Ko Lanta - Pimalai/Layana, or Railay Beach - Rayavadee. Ko Phi Phi is an option too, but Zeavola is the only resort that is available from what i checked, and that seems TOO tropical for my taste...but otherwise looks gorgeous. If someone disagrees, let me know!

Any suggestions on what would be good? I'm thinking of even splitting the stay 2 nights/3 nights...so can pick 2 locations. A place which has beautiful water/scenery, and which would allow us to rent bikes/scooter to explore for 1 day would be a plus, but otherwise will be looking to relax mostly. We would also likely be flying in and out of Phuket if that helps.

Thank you in advance!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Which island/location to pick?

From your selection of hotels you are looking at top end resorts. Each of the ones you mention are located on the best/most beautiful but secluded beaches.

As an idea of travel involved as splitting between 2 destinations over 5 nights will steal some of your precious time.

* Phuket Airport to Khao Lak just over 1 hour, cost about 1500 baht each way with Boss of Cheaper than Hotel Taxis in Khao Lak. Contact cheaper_khaolak@ymail.com

* Phuket Airport to Ko Lanta or Khao Lak to Ko Lanta about 4-5 hours depending on ferry times.

* Phuket Airport and Khao Lak to Railay Beach about 2-3 hours depending on boat transfer times to Railay.

The return times are more critical to get you back to Phuket Airport for your onward flight.

Hope this helps.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
188 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Which island/location to pick?

Thanks for the tips! I checked again and it actually is possible to fly in and out of Krabi for us. Would that change these times drastically?

I liked Rayavadee a lot due to the cliffs and water its situated around (at least based on pics), do any of the other resorts have this scenery? I think unfortunately due to these being a little overbudget for us, we may have to split into 2 locations anyway.

Thanks!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: Which island/location to pick?

Yes, Krabi would give you quicker accerss to both Koh Lanta and Railay Beach. Just be aware that Railay Beach is VERY popular with day trippers in longtail boats and speedboats coming and going all day. It is at its best before they arrive in the morning and after it has gone in late afternoon.However, the resort itself seems to make upfor that judging by reviews.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
188 posts
18 reviews
4. Re: Which island/location to pick?

Thanks. Aside from Railay Beach day trippers, so you have any opinions on which location to choose? Ko Lanta or Khao Lak? Or whether Railay is not advisable to stay on?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
5. Re: Which island/location to pick?

I've never stayed at the Rayavadee or on Ko Lanta so I van't really compare either to Khao Lak in general and the Pullman or Sarojin which I am very familiar with in particular.

Wherever you stay if you do decide to hire a scooter for a day or more please read the Travellers Article on Licence Requirements at tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-c133830/Thail…

Most importantly if you do not hold a motor cycle licence in your own country you cannot drive one legally in Thailand and since scooter hire does not include any insurance any that you have of your own will be invalidated if you have an accident but are driving illegally.

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
106 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: Which island/location to pick?

Hi

We have been to both the Rayavadee and the Sarojin both very good hostels, we were at the Sarojin 3 week's ago I don't think one hotel better than the other but the location completely different, as said previously more day trippers to Rayavadee but the location ii's the better, Sarojin a lot quieter but still a first class hotel, if I had to make a choice I'm not sure Rayavadee for the location Sarojin for the quieter holiday.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
919 posts
124 reviews
7. Re: Which island/location to pick?

With only 5 nights I would pick one place to stay and just enjoy. We spent a week on Koh Lanta and loved it. This year we are trying Khao Lak for 5 nights and also going back to Koh Lanta for 10 days (splitting our stay in two different locations on the island). If you chose Koh Lanta it would be closer to fly out of Krabi if you can.

8. Re: Which island/location to pick?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2016, 09:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak