We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodation

Kununurra, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
27 reviews
Accomodation

I know this question has probably been asked many times before...apologies. I have never travelled to Khao Lak & plan to visit there at the end of October with my husband. We are looking for accommodation for 7 nights in the mid price range. We don't like the big flashy hotels but the smaller more intimate type of places. Prefer a quieter part of town but guessing Khao Lak isn't anything like Phuket (which we will be spending a week with family prior).

Also if you can recommend any of your favourite restaurant/bars or general tip, this would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Mornington...
Level Contributor
184 posts
99 reviews
1. Re: Accomodation

I was in your situation about 2 years ago and put it out on T/A. Nang Thong Bay Resort was suggested and has been just right. Here now for 4th time and really enjoying it. On the beach, choice of bungalow or apartment accommodation and short walk to many restaurants. I travel beginning and end of low season but in high season it might seem a bit crowded, particularly around the pool.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
2. Re: Accomodation

Here is a comprehensive list of accommodation throughout Khao Lak www.seadragondivecenter.com/accommodation.htm and here a link to the latest maps to identify locations tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

The Nang Thong Bay Resort at http://www.nangthong.com/ and sister resort just down the beach Nang Thong Beach Resort at www.nangthong2.com/ are very good and popular choices in excellent locations. The Orchid Beach Resort at http://www.khaolakorchid.com/ is an excellent rresort in a great location on Khuk Khak Beach and has great offers for booking direct.

Edited: 09 October 2015, 12:42
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
392 posts
37 reviews
3. Re: Accomodation

The Smile Restaurant is a favourite with everyone - its consistently number 1 on trip advisor and with good reason. Beautiful food at great prices. Its run by a French fellow and his, I think Thai wife, is the chef.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
89 reviews
4. Re: Accomodation

Hi Amanda

We also found Nang Thong Bay Resort (often referred to as NTBR1) here on TA in early 2012 and gave it a go mainly because of all the good Aussie reviews. They weren't wrong, it is a great hotel and we are back in November for visit number 7. We usually go May & October. We love the Bungalows, the Beach Front best, they are great waking to that sea view every morning, but if already taken the Garden Bungalows on the 2nd row still get a bit of ocean view, same layout less view and 'semi-detached'.

The hotel will run you up to the Nang Thong Supermarket on the main road in a golf cart where there are numerous great places to eat.

I agree with Meredith Smile is excellent, we visit at least once every trip, dearer than most in the area but worth every baht, and we normally get out for around 1000baht for the 2 of us with beers. Smile is a few hundred metres up the road from the Supermarket to the north but well worth the stroll. Across the road from Smile and about another 50 or so metres along is Orchid Café, who imo serves the best Thai food, and at very reasonable prices. Ten Star, diagonally opposite the Supermarket is consistent in food quality. The little rustic feet in the sand café at Green Beach resort next to NTBR1 does a good brekkie and good Thai as well. If you stay too long and need a break from Thai food try La Piccola Maria 100m south of NTBR back gate for the best Italian pizza or head up to Bang Niang and try Rusty Pelican - very good Mexican. The food at the 3 times a week Bang Niang market is also worth the visit. Actually KL now has over 200 places to eat and there are far more good ones than bad ones.

Enjoy your stay, Terry.

5. Re: Accomodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2016, 09:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak