We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Foot wear to pack?

Michigan
Level Contributor
115 posts
Foot wear to pack?

I am hoping to pack light but can't decide whaheard the smart choices to take for foot wear. Do I need to bring water shoes? So far I plan on bringing flip flops, hiking sandals and nicer sandals for evenings? Would hiking sandals work in lieu of athletic shoes? We will be in Khoa Lak, Koh Lanta and Ao Nang. Any help with packing light but smart would be very appreciated!!!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Foot wear to pack?

By "water shoes" I presume you mean surf shoes, the type you wear going into the ocean where there are rocks and stones? It depends which beach you will be goint to and entering the ocean from. Pak Weeb Beach is particularly prone to small rocks, pieces of dead coral and sea shells near shore. Most people don't use them though. Hiking sandals are perfectly acceptable and more often seen than athleic shoes.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,650 posts
105 reviews
2. Re: Foot wear to pack?

Most locals in Thailand seem to wear slip on type sandals because they are easy to slip off when going into temples, some shops and people's houses etc. At least one plastic pair is needed incase of having to walk through water. Make sure any footwear has good grips because often Thai street paving made of tiles is extremely slippery when it has been raining and you don't want to break a leg. If intending riding motorbikes either for hire or as a passenger on a motorbike taxi it is best to have some protective footwear rather tnan sandals or flip flops. More enclosed type shoes can be good at night to prevent mozzies biting your feet. If wanting to really cut down on luggage I would suggest taking one plastic slip on pair with good grip and one pair of trainers. Anything more bulky than trainers is far too hot so forget hiking boots. You may want a posher pair of shoes for going out in the evening but beware of uneven paving at all different levels, sometimes having to walk on sand etc so maybe high heels not a good idea. Up to you :-)

Dove Canyon
Level Contributor
170 posts
85 reviews
3. Re: Foot wear to pack?

I have not been to Thailand yet but I plan to only bring one pair of shoes - FitFlops. they are extremely comfortable for walking and also look pretty. it's the only thing I wore to Japan and also a 17 day trip to Scandinavia and it was perfect.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
4. Re: Foot wear to pack?

FitFlops are not suitable if you want to go trekking or away from paved areas.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,650 posts
105 reviews
5. Re: Foot wear to pack?

Also you would not want to have just shorts and flipflops if walking in any long grass. There are snakes in Thailand. I always avoid long grass. My uncle in Phuket had a cobra come into his garden once.

Michigan
Level Contributor
115 posts
6. Re: Foot wear to pack?

O my Robin... Just reading that is enough to convince me to bring something else besides sandals.

Thanks all for your replies. It was very helpful :)

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
7. Re: Foot wear to pack?

IF necessary, and bearing in mind we stay in Khao Lak for nearly 5 months every year, visiting other areas from Krabi to Khao Sok with various terrain during that time, including trekking in the rain forest, we have never brought a pair of trainers (sports shoes) with us. You can buy a pair (or a pair of Crocs) cheap enough when you arrive and dispose of them (say to a local orphanage) when you leave if necessary. The nearest we have got to a snake is outside a shop when the owner captured it, put it in a plastic bag and rode up into the countryside and released it.

Edited: 28 September 2015, 02:56
Michigan
Level Contributor
115 posts
8. Re: Foot wear to pack?

I really like the idea of buying sports shoes there and donating them after. Would woman's US size 9 be readily available? Thanks for the great suggestion!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
9. Re: Foot wear to pack?

US 9 would be availble but whether that is what it says on the label is a question of trial and error! LOL

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,823 posts
89 reviews
10. Re: Foot wear to pack?

We have done Khao Lak 6 times, Lanta 3, Ao Nang 4 or maybe 5. All I have ever worn is 'flip flops' or thongs as we call them here in Oz. In over a dozen trips to Thailand I've brought joggers once and nevre wore them. I have found flip flops ok on local tours to waterfalls etc . I usually wear a pair of casual slip on canvas boat shoes on the flight in case and restaurants are fussy but rarely wear them either.

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak