We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Change of dates?

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Change of dates?

Hi there, we've just received the devastating news of my step-mum being diagnosed with terminal Lukemia. The prognosis is not good. We are already booked on Etihad flights, with transfers, in feb, with a week stay in Phuket, and then on to Khao lak for a week, both booked with Hotelbeds, via Thomas Cook, Some trips already booked and deposits paid.

Obviously, every case is unique and different, and no-one can tell what is in the future, but was wondering, what would happen if, at the time, travel was just not possible?

How would we go on about postponing and changing dates? This is/was, our holiday of a lifetime, and just have no clue what to do.

Any advice would be so appreciated.

perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Change of dates?

Hi

Do you have travel insurance in place? If so then contact them, you should be cover for these event ( cancelled/ postpone).

Good luck and sorry to hear such a terrible news.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,451 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Change of dates?

Very sorry to hear about your sad news.

Changing flight dates would depend on the class of ticket and whether it allows changes. If it does there is usually a charge for this plus th difference in the price of the flight on the revised date compared with what you originally paid. It depends on the Terms & Conditions for your airline and for the ticket you bought. Similarly for hotels, it depends on the T&Cs for cancellations or rearrangement of either the agency you booked it through or the hotel if you booked direct. The same would apply for trips you have booked.

For flights it often works out cheaper to cancel the flights and claim off your travel insurance. It depends on the excess you would have to suffer compared to the change fee plus extra flight cost on a rearranged flight. I would advise, if you haven't already, contacting both your travel insurance company to confirm where you stand on cancellation for flights, accommodation and trip deposits. I am sure they will advise you check with your airline and agents and hotels (if booked direct) to confirm where you stand with them regarding cancellation as they always look to you getting as much back for these bookings with them paying any balance less their excess.

Good luck!

england
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Change of dates?

So sorry to hear your sad news. I think Arandora has given you more advice than I could give you so I hope you can come to a decision that suits you.

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Change of dates?

Thanks all of you. Think I will pop into Thomas Cook, who we booked it all through, and have a word with them, but beforehand, I'll ring the Insurance company up. On the insurance summary, where it says 'Cancellations', it just says ' up to ticket ' ? Not sure what that means though. Any clues anyone?

Thanks , as always,

Marian and Jo

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,451 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Change of dates?

"Up to ticket" means that cancellations depend on the Terms & Conditions of the ticket you booked or your agent booked for you. Hence my comment "I am sure they will advise you check with your airline and agents and hotels (if booked direct) to confirm where you stand with them regarding cancellation as they always look to you getting as much back for these bookings with them paying any balance less their excess."

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Change of dates?

ok, understood. Thanks for your help, hopefully, it wont be necessary to change, but feel its best to be prepared.

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Change of dates?

OK, so, just a quick update, thought it may be useful in the future for other travellers...

Was really impressed with Thomas Cook, they basically said, if we didn't want to, we didn't have to go down the travel insurance route, they would charge a £50 p.p fee and they would change flights and accommodation, plus any increase of the prices for the different dates. This is up to the 4th Jan, after that, the tickets will be issued, and on top of that, the airline (Etihad) will add an amendment fee of £100 pp. IF, indeed we need to change.

Im really happy with this outcome, thought it was going to be so much more complicated, having to go through insurance etc,

Good result.

Thanks everyone once again.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,451 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Change of dates?

Thanks for letting us know and I hope there is as positive an outcome as possible to you and your family in these very trying circumstances.

england
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Change of dates?

Ditto what Arandora said. Glad it has relieved you a bit.

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Change of dates?

Thank you all.......... we're obviously in bits about the diagnosis. And we have to stay positive as possible, but, be as realistic as possible also.............

So just having this in mind has really helped.

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak