We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help..Serious weather concerns for Oct 29-Nov 24th

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
227 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Help..Serious weather concerns for Oct 29-Nov 24th

After doing tons of research starting with the weather we finally settled on our 26 night stay split between Khao Lak and Ao Nang.

Hotels finally picked we were about to book them and the flight when I starting getting serious doubts regarding the weather.

I had read that the dry/high season started in November and thought we'd probably still get a few showers at the beginning of the trip. But as I was reading through posts in the forum I now think we could still see quitte a lot of rain and cloudy days throughout our whole stay.

We planned on 16nts 29 Oct-14 Nov in Khao Lak and then10nts in Ao Nang till Nov 24th.

Obviously noone can predict the weather but any comments or experiences would be very much appreciated as I'm heading to Thailand for lots of reasons but the sun is a main factor.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help..Serious weather concerns for Oct 29-Nov 24th

The Dry Season doesn't suddenly start on 1st November nor does the Wet Season end the day before. There is usually a transition between the two with residual rain and rough seas becoming calmer. The last few years October and early November in Khao Lak has been drier and more sun than from mid November. That may change this year, of course, but you should get plenty of sunshine with any rain usually after lunch.

There's plenty of information on the Forum including this Sticky which attempts to put the Storm Icons you often see on weather forecast sites into perspective tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

Edited: 20 September 2015, 13:32
Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
106 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help..Serious weather concerns for Oct 29-Nov 24th

Hi

Khao Lak and Ao Nang are both on the West Coast if you are bothered about the weather split it between East Coast or one of the islands then to Khao Lak

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help..Serious weather concerns for Oct 29-Nov 24th

The period in question is Wet Season on the East Coast.

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help..Serious weather concerns for Oct 29-Nov 24th

And, you will get wet, you will dry out, you will have lots of sun... Enjoy

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
106 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help..Serious weather concerns for Oct 29-Nov 24th

I don't think I mentioned it not being the wet season on the East Coast, but if you split between the two you may have the best chance of the weather

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help..Serious weather concerns for Oct 29-Nov 24th

Never said you did. Just confirming for the OP that going to the East Coast would be Wet Season where there would be a greater risk of rain when she was already concerned about it in an area where there is less risk.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help..Serious weather concerns for Oct 29-Nov 24th

We have been to Khao Lak late October - early November for the last 3 years and are heading back again this November. The weather has never been a problem, an occasional shower that normally goes away as fast as it comes. Sometimes they come every day, other time you may get one a week. It does give you a break from the sun some days. Being the fringe of change of seasons you have as much chance of rain on both the East & West Coast.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
158 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help..Serious weather concerns for Oct 29-Nov 24th

Agree with you we went last year mid October to start Nov and we did get some rain but also lots of sunshine and regardless its still nice and warm when it rained. We too going back 17th october till 2nd Nov this year and whatever the weather brings us it has to be better than melbourne weather at that time of the year. Just enjoy i say.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
227 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help..Serious weather concerns for Oct 29-Nov 24th

Thanks so much to everyone for all the advice.

You've all convinced us and we've booked.

We'll be in the Bhandari from Oct 29th to Nov 10th when we move on to AO Nang.

I'll just pack me wellies haha

10. Re: Help..Serious weather concerns for Oct 29-Nov 24th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2016, 09:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak