We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is a rabies vaccination advisable for Khao Lak?

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Is a rabies vaccination advisable for Khao Lak?

Hi all, only 7 weeks now before my first visit to Thailand and I'm buzzing with excitement! Anyway, I went to the travel clinic at my GP surgery today and got the usual Hep A/Typhoid jab and Diphtheria/Polio/Tetanus booster but the nurse suggested I might want to consider a Rabies jab too as Khao Lak is in a fairly rural, foresty area and there's a possibility of contact with monkeys and the like, especially as I'm planning to do the Phang Nga tour with visit to the 'Monkey Temple'. What do all you Khao Lak experts think, is this really necessary? It seems a little OTT if I'm honest, I fully plan on being sensible and staying well clear of any stray animals and will only look at (and take photos of) any monkeys I see rather than trying to man-handle them! Plus, it's going to cost me £167 for the pleasure so I'd rather not do it unless necessary.

Thanks!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Is a rabies vaccination advisable for Khao Lak?

"Khao Lak is in a fairly rural, foresty area " - really? Has your GP nurse been to Khao Lak? Rabies is a risk throughout Thailand and other countries. Our GP nurse advised us to consider it because we stay in Khao Lak as a base and go to different destinations in and around Khao Lak (including Phang Nga which is over an hour away), Khao Sok which is far more "foresty" than Khao Lak but principally because we stay for about 5 months so the perceived risk is higher. We have been doing so for nearly 10 years now and when we have reviewed our vaccinations every year the rabies injection was not raised until this year. If you do happen to be bitten by a dog or monkey or their saliva enters an open wound you should go to a doctor immediately for treatment and a post incident vaccination. We are not going to have the injections in the UK particularly as we were quoted £110 vaccine fee from chemist + £10 injection fee by nurse for each of 3 injections each which = £390 each. We may have it done locally in Khao Lak where it is much cheaper.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Is a rabies vaccination advisable for Khao Lak?

Many thanks for your speedy and extremely helpful reply Andora, I thought as much. I think they were just trying to get some extra £££ out of me, extremely glad I told her I'd seek advice first! It's all about common sense, just like anywhere else in the world.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: Is a rabies vaccination advisable for Khao Lak?

Your surgery isn't trying to get more money out of you. The cost is so high because the vaccine is not available on the NHS. So you have to pay the commercial cost to the chemist. Each GP practice decides whether they will charge for injecting it and if so how much.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Is a rabies vaccination advisable for Khao Lak?

Ah okay, makes sense. Thanks again, and apologies for getting your username wrong in my last post, I just noticed!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
5. Re: Is a rabies vaccination advisable for Khao Lak?

That's OK Sahar. ;-)

6. Re: Is a rabies vaccination advisable for Khao Lak?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2016, 10:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak