We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Sands

Perth
Level Contributor
104 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
The Sands

Hi All,

After what feels like asking endless questions and reading numerous reviews, I think I can finally say that I'm ready to book The Sands. I was chasing a pool access room in a modern hotel on the beach and it definitely seems to tick all of those. My other criteria was being walking distance to bars, restaurants and shops/markets - is this definitely the case around The Sands as the resort seems to be between Bang Niang and Bang La On - hopefully this is a good thing and we can walk to both areas. If someone could confirm if there are eateries and bars close by and roughly how far they are as I do have a slight disability and cant walk massive distances. Also final question - are there any bars/eateries on the actual beach near The Sands - this would just totally top off my wish list :)

Thanks to everyone thats helped me get to this point - I am kind of relieved haha

Mentioned in this post
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Siam Turmeric
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, Seafood, Fast food, Deli
Pam's Restaurant & Bar
₹, Seafood, Asian, Thai
Ben's Restaurant
₹, Pizza, Seafood, Italian
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
534 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Sands

We are going there in November, and have read reviews saying that it is close to eating places etc

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
153 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Sands

Hi we stayed at the sands last year and it was magnificent. Yes you can easily walk to restraunts and bars about 5 min walk to main rd with many choices of restraunts and shops. As for restaurants on beach near sands thete was 2 or 3 to the right of the resort beach side about 5 min walk. We only tried 1 which we thought was very average but location was nice and good for a drink but alot better places to eat on main strip. As for walking to bang niang which there's is a market on a saturday monday and Wednesday and few more eateries you need to catch transport to far to walk. 10 min car ride.

But the sands is in a perfect location for restraunts and shopping. Highly recommend to upgrade to a pool room where you have your own little pool off your deck. Enjoy your stay.

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
3,061 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Sands

As previously mentioned Bang Niang is not walking distance from The Sands. Transport in the back of a covered ute will cost 150 baht each way.This type of ttransport is easy to find as the drivers tend to hang around on the main road as you come up from The Sands.

Mentioned in this post
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Perth
Level Contributor
104 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Sands

Thanks everyone for your help, I can rest easy now that all the boxes are ticked (I am a little OCD when it comes to finding my perfect resort haha). Lbbarb - already booked the pool access room, it looks incredible :)

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Sands

We stayed there last November and have bought a deal for 8 nights again next year. Great hotel, great facilities, well located.

You have Orchid Café up on the main road just to the right of the hotel entrance, great cheap Thai. Across the road you have Tiffy's and 50 metres further up the constant No 1 rated Smile, then back across the road to Dee café. There are many great places to eat all the way up the highway through Bang la On, too many to mention. There is nothing on the beach immediately in front of The Sands, To the right around the bend in the beach, a short 300m stroll, is Peter bar, good food cold drinks. Further towards Bang Niang more beach cafes. To the left of the hotel about a similar distance is Green Beach Resort with a little rustic beach front café that serves up half decent breakfasts and lunches.

The Sands is on the northern end of Bang La On, I wouldn't walk the road to Bang Niang but have done the beach walk many times. It would be a good half hour walk plus and if you want to take your time there are plenty of beach cafes along the way. Otherwise its about a 150baht ride from any of the drivers outside the hotel.

The 3 times a week Bang Niang Market is worth a visit, the food at the entrance is worth the trip alone.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket Orchid Resort & Spa
Phuket Orchid Resort...
763 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Peter Bar & Restaurant
Peter Bar & Restaurant
496 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Khao Lak Green Beach Resort
Khao Lak Green Beach...
155 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Bang Niang Market
Bang Niang Market
980 Reviews
Takua Pa, Thailand
Perth
Level Contributor
104 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Sands

Thanks Tezzat, appreciate the feedback. It sounds like the perfect holiday - exactly what we are after! We are heading to Khao Lak during our wedding anniversary. Do you have any recommendations of somewhere we could have a nice dinner. Not looking for anything fine dining or super expensive, just a nice comfortable place with good food and good drinks close to the hotel?

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
khao lak
Level Contributor
262 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: The Sands

hi,you can walk to Bang niang now,it is 1km to the market,they have built a cycle path,come footpath,all the way.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Sands

Highly recommended is The Sands, close to shops , restaurants, easy walk to town, convenience stores, and great beach for swimming.

Good beach side massage just around the corner

Hotel is fantastic, breakfast lunch or dinner

Happy hour as well

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Sands

Try Smile very good food its not far from The Sands on the opposite side of road.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Sands

Try Smile very good food its not far from The Sands on the opposite side of road. The DEE DEE coffee shop opposite serves great cheap lunches and dinner fantastic staff who are very helpful .