We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap transport from khao lak to patong by local bus or???

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
153 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap transport from khao lak to patong by local bus or???

Staying in khao lak and want to go to patong by the cheapest way so want to know is there a local bus from khao lak to patong and where do we get it from the timetable how much it costs and how long is journey. Any information would be appreciated but not intrested in getting there by taxi or private companys as such.

Also we will be hiring a motorcycle in khao lak that could be another option is riding from khao lak to patong are we being silly and to ambitious and is it to dangerous. We have rode around khao lak last year but only around khao lsk area and found it quite safe. My partner has a motorbike back home in australia so isn't a tourist novice with riding but in saying that australia to thailand is very diffetent. Please help. Will be in khao lak mid October

Cheers linda

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap transport from khao lak to patong by local bus or???

The public bus runs through Khao Lak to the Bus Station in Phuket Town from where you can catch another one to Patong. They can be caught at various stops depending on where you are staying. One of the most popular points is opposite the Nang Thong Supermarket. They run every hour on about the half hour but I would get to the stop at about 15 minutes past the hour or ask at the travel office next to the Nang Thong Supermarket for a more precise time and cost. Last I heard it was about 45 bah and can take up to 2 1/2 hours depending on stops, traffic and roadworks..

As for going by bike, even assuming your partner is experienced, has an Australian Driving Licence and you have your own insurance (as none comes with the bike hire) and for the price of the bus, why bother. It's a long fast road with high speed vehicles passing you, so a high IMO element of risk.

Edited: 15 September 2015, 18:47
Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Phuket Town
Phuket Town
Phuket, Thailand
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
153 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap transport from khao lak to patong by local bus or???

Thank you so much for your clear and quick response. We are staying at the bhandari resort so in middle of khao lak but do know where the supermarket your talking about also. Yes agree about motorcycle i think bus option will be a little safer. Thank you once again.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap transport from khao lak to patong by local bus or???

Hi ibbarb...My girlfriend's daughter wanted to ride her scooter from Khao Lak to Patong last week with her friend riding pillion...I told her to forget it....Because as Arandora says..the trip can take up to 2 1/2 hours in a car...Scooters with 2 up have a cruising speed of 70K/P/H so the trip would take at least 4 hours+ one way...Even if you knew the shortest route....!!...Definitely take the bus....

My lady,her daughter and her friend commissioned Cheaperthanhotels taxi service for 1800b one way....More expensive than the local bus but quicker...

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap transport from khao lak to patong by local bus or???

And just be aware that the chance of rain is quite high

me thinks more than 2 wheels..

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
153 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap transport from khao lak to patong by local bus or???

Thanks for info we definitely wont ride to patong after all the advice. Cheers

Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap transport from khao lak to patong by local bus or???

Sir if you like to go by mini bus to phuket you can book out side of your resort there is a shop who books the bus ticket for everywhere you can contect to him also he is just opposite 7 -11 seven eleven stores when you come out from your resot it is just right side of the main road. as Mr Arandora has given you tip that is the best .

7. Re: Cheap transport from khao lak to patong by local bus or???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2016, 09:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak