We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
219 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitoes

Hi, I really react to mosquito bites, so much so that my skin often stretches for example from my wrist to elbow and gets so hot that I could fry am egg on it. I know different places seem to get different treatments/preventative that work better depending on area. I will be in the uk before flying to Phuket so any brands which seem to work best? Should I buy in Australia (bushman doesn't always work for me and often makes my cough), uk or thailand. Please only respond if you are a mossie magnet and understand being the only one in a group being bitten! Will be there end October. Many thanks fellow pin cushions.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitoes

Hi McrtoMel

I react to sand flies and sometimes mozzies, but in 5 trips to KL I haven't been bothered by either. We always take a bottle of Off but have never used it. Hopefully you will have the same luck

Terry

Perth, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitoes

Soffell insect repellent works brilliantly.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
11,302 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitoes

My daughter is a mozzie magnet and has often accompanied me on tours around Thailand. Always used Jungle formular medium with a lot of success.

If your skin is sensitive they do a sensitive skin version or if you really want maximum deterrent factor they do Jungle formular maximum.

Jungle formular is available in boots chemists in UK and online and also many larger Tesco supermarkets

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitoes

Here in khaolak we have another brands at the pharmacy shop you can ask which is good for your skin cos they have light and strong too if you can find in uk i think that is also good idea to get from there . here we have many guests from uk i think they bring some from uk but not all cos depends on your skin too.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,449 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitoes

Monty,

The person asking is from Australia. :-)

McrtoMel

My wife is particularly susceptible to mossie bites and has to be extremely careful that none become infectious on her left arm as it could have very serious consequences for her and especially because we are in Khao Lak and other places where there may be mossies from November to April each year. Having tried various products brought from the UK, such as Boots Tropical Strength, nearest Boots to Khao Lak being in Phuket, she uses a roll on called Jaico which is made in Belgium but which is obtainable locally in Khao Lak in certain pharmacies cheaper than we can get in the UK. A 50ml bottle is 350 baht. I use Off aerosol by Johnson & Johnson, also available locally in the Nang Thong Supermarket and other shops and pharmacies.The local spray Sketolene again available in Nang Thong Supermarket, mini marts and pharmacies is very effective and is often given to you in restaurants to use.

We also use liquid plug ins in our bungalow during the night as a precaution not because they are particularly prevalent.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
219 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitoes

Thanks as always Arandora but Monty the tailor was correct too. I did state that I will be in the UK (and returning home to Melbourne via Khao Lak). I will pop into boots for one product to see me through the first night/day and then try and get the Belgium brand in Khao Lak. I have a couple hours wait at the airport meeting my husband's flight from Melbourne so don't intend being bitten at the airport. The mozzies adore my pommie blood even after being an Aussie for way over 10 years!

Mentioned in this post
Monty The Tailor
Monty The Tailor
45 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
7. Re: Mosquitoes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2016, 09:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak