We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegan options in Khao Lak

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,767 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Vegan options in Khao Lak

Hi everyone, I am travelling to KL for the first to eat the end of November for my 50th birthday. We have a party of 9 including my 20 year old niece who is a vegan.

She is pretty well travelled, has been to Bali a few times and has just returned form 6 weeks in Europe where she coped fine but wondering if there was anywhere in particular that are better at catering for vegans?

I did a forum search and there was only one thread from 2009 which mentioned a restaurant called Boonyarit Kitchen which appears to have moved to Pai. She will be fine with stir fried vegies but most curries have a shrimp paste base so she will avoid those. We'll head to the markets and buy up a heap of fresh fruit when we arrive but I'd like her to have some good options when eating out.

Thanks for any suggestions :)

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Pai
Pai
Mae Hong Son Province, Thailand
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,168 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegan options in Khao Lak

www.happycow.net/asia/thailand/khao_lak/

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
3,061 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegan options in Khao Lak

If she likes Japanese food then there is Enzo bistro with plenty of vegan sushi and salad options. Also the Rusty Pelican (tex mex) has options that are vegan also. Sometimes it's nice to

Have a break from Thai food much as I love it!

Mentioned in this post
Rusty Pelican
Rusty Pelican
680 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,767 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegan options in Khao Lak

Thanks for that link Cassnu - 2 of the 4 are now closed but the other 2 were already on our list to try so that does help to know they are vegan friendly.

Mrssmith Enzo looks good, none of the rest of us are into Japanese food that much but she will love it.

Edited: 08 September 2015, 07:41
Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
7,307 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vegan options in Khao Lak

If she is a strict vegan, she needs to let the chef know, even at "vegetarian" restaurants, as fish sauce and oyster sauce are primary flavorings in most Thai dishes. If asked, many chefs will use soy sauce in lieu of fish or oyster sauce, but it does change the flavor.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,168 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vegan options in Khao Lak

We are vegetarian and over our many trips to Thailand we have found it is easier to just go with the flow a bit more than we would at home, otherwise our holiday can become quite stressful. Of course, being vegan makes it even harder, but not impossible. Finding out the Thai words for Vegan and perhaps getting them written in Thai would be helpful for her.

"To say I am vegan in Thai: Pen Je

Say it out loud: “ben jay“"

Edited: 08 September 2015, 08:45
Mentioned in this post
6. Re: Vegan options in Khao Lak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2016, 15:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak