We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The waters by Katathani

manchester
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
The waters by Katathani

We're booked to stay here in November .. Has anyone recently stayed here ?? The reviews I've read up on all sound good . Hoping it's close to restaurants , bars etc .. Also can anyone recommend Elephant trekking company to use ?? Really would like one where the Elephants are well treated .. Would love to go in the water with them as well ...

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
3,127 posts
211 reviews
1. Re: The waters by Katathani

The Waters has only recently reopened after being renovated and rebranded by the Katathani group...in fact not sure if it is even open yet. It was Monochrome and we were booked to stay there this year in May but it was closed. I look forward to reading your review as I really like the style of the place and the location.

Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
598 posts
25 reviews
2. Re: The waters by Katathani

It's not supposed to open until November 1. And even then, I wouldn't hold my breath...

Edited: 04 September 2015, 07:53
Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
3,127 posts
211 reviews
3. Re: The waters by Katathani

Sounds like not much had changed since June then...this is Thailand!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
4. Re: The waters by Katathani

The Waters is a big new extension to the existing Monochrome and when complete will form the Waters by Katathani Resort. I would contact the resort or your agent if you booked through one to confirm that it will be completed for your dates. Assuming you still go I would contact Lora of Dior Travel which is just up the beach road from the resort. She is a qualified and experienced tour guide and as well as selling tours she organises them herself including bathing with elephants. Contact her on diorkhaolak@yahoo.co.th

Level Contributor
84 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: The waters by Katathani

I've tried to book for Nov but my travel agent can't get a booking through his hotel booking company and I'm a little reluctant to book direct ? Who did you book with and are you in the UK.Has any one been to or seen the Briza Beach I'd welcome any comments.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
6. Re: The waters by Katathani

I wouldn't book direct unless I had a categoric assurance that construction ill be finished and that there will be no disruption. Often Thai groups offer "soft openings" at reduced prices i.e, prices lower than they would charge when fully completed. It is up to prospective guests to decide whether that "saving" is worth the risk of any residual disruption or to book an established fully operational resort.

As for the Briza, there are actually two Brizas, one newer than the other and behind the original one which is direct beach front on Khao Lak (South) Beach. Khao Lak Beach is the first of KL's 9 beaches that you reach coming from Phuket and is about a 10 minute shuttle/taxi ride over the mountain into Bang La On, the main township of Khao Lak where most restaurants, shops and bars are to be found.

Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
598 posts
25 reviews
7. Re: The waters by Katathani

I walked the length of Khao Lak South Beach (and into the Briza for a look) last month. The beach was a real mess with most of the path parallel to the water missing, and one-ton slabs of concrete from the retaining wall scattered in jumbled piles on the beach and out into the water. The wall & path directly in front of the Briza was intact, but on either side of the property there was nothing... but banks of sand.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
8. Re: The waters by Katathani

Of course you see it at its worst in the Wet Season. The adjacent Poseidon Beach is one of the best unspoiled beaches in Khao Lak.

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
146 reviews
9. Re: The waters by Katathani

Karen, if you are still thinking of the briza, choose the beach side, the other "zone "looks and feels so sterile

Level Contributor
84 posts
8 reviews
10. Re: The waters by Katathani

Which side is the beach side is it the new or old block of the hotel.Can you recommend any other hotels in Khoa Lak that are near the beach but in a closer location to the town ,restaurants ,shops,bars ?

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak