We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long stayers - how do you fill your time?

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
3,035 posts
206 reviews
Save Topic
Long stayers - how do you fill your time?

This is a question for those of you who are lucky enough to spend long periods in Thailand. Next year it looks likely my husband's job will finish and with a month in Thailand/Asia already booked for May '16 we are in a position to return for a month or more in July/August...pretty much skipping winter. We would likely base ourselves in one place and take advantage of great value low season rates and just live the dream, as we want to retire to Thailand one day.

Of course it sounds idyllic and one could never be bored in paradise...right? We are not very adventurous and not party people either. Obviously working or volunteering are out but I don't want to turn into a lazy sod either. Is is unrealistic to think that a local family might welcome a farang offering free english lessons? Perhaps for some cooking tips in return? How do you fill your time if you stay for extended periods? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Level Contributor
936 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long stayers - how do you fill your time?

I'll let you know in March, but for those months you may wish to look at other locations.

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
3,035 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long stayers - how do you fill your time?

It's ok I know it will be rainy season and we've been before in June. It will be affordable, it will be warm and we won't have to go to work. That's better than winter in Melbourne.

Europe
Level Contributor
936 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long stayers - how do you fill your time?

Ok, for thing to do, I would suggest those things recommended to me by my friend living in Khao Lak. Get a place with a garden, so you can experiment growing things. Then use them in recipes you create which combine perhaps western with Asian cuisine. Why not try a recipient book of perhaps on-line blog of your experiments? Personally, I'm going to take on the first item and combine this with some form of blog or vlog to capture the real life aspects of where I'm staying. I will be based in generally one place with trips 'out' for a week or so at the beginning and end of my stay. I have had some interest from individuals interested in the 'demonstration' of various software packages, which I may do like a 'drop in' session. Of course as this is just showing a friend some software, it's not working :-)

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Europe
Level Contributor
936 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long stayers - how do you fill your time?

P.S. I do not intend to be on any forums during my stay! I'll be too busy.

Phuket
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
3,879 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long stayers - how do you fill your time?

You need to bring your hobbies with you or start new ones. Already good suggestions, but the internet is your friend here, for news, for communication, for downloading entertainment.

6. Re: Long stayers - how do you fill your time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 August 2015, 19:05
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,391 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long stayers - how do you fill your time?

No problem at all spending 5 months a year in and around Khao Lak in the High Season with the occasional trip "abroad" e.g. Bali, Cambodia, Oz (twice) and other parts of Thailand en route or in between and new places every year. If you do it often enough you meet lots of fellow long stayers, engage and become friends with ex-pats and not the least locals and meet and make real friends with the virtual ones from this and other Thailand forums. Having a car helps a great deal to get out and about, where you want, when you want. We have a busier social life both by day but especially in the evenings with friends from all over the world than we have at home. It all depends on the quality of life you want to enjoy. No-one only yourself can prescribe that. Khao Lak just suits us for ours.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
3,035 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Long stayers - how do you fill your time?

Thank you ...this is getting me thinking about all the things we could do on a long stay.

Phillip Island...
Level Contributor
955 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Long stayers - how do you fill your time?

mrssmith.....just do it. You won't regret it. When our son was 3 years old we sold our house, moved into our holiday home at Phillip Island and travelled SE Asia for 4 months.... and never got bored once! It was the most unforgettable experience, not only for us but for our little boy too, he still talks about it.

In fact my husband wants to take off again!

We just love exploring, having breakfast when we want, meeting fellow travellers and when the biggest decision of the day is beach or pool.....well life can't get any better than that.

As you say, it sure beats a Melbourne winter.......how cold is it today!!!

We now travel to Thailand/ Cambodia for 4 weeks every year and it's surprising how the days just fly by!

Safe and happy travels

Cheers

Verrena

Mentioned in this post
10. Re: Long stayers - how do you fill your time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2016, 10:47