We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Lak, Thailand in September

London, United...
7 posts
Khao Lak, Thailand in September

I'm planning to go to Khaolak at the end of September but I'm a bit concerned after reading posts about restaurants being closed, not much happening and being quiet.

Have anyone visited Khaolak in September to give any info, please?

Europe
Level Contributor
970 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Khao Lak, Thailand in September

Yes, many beach restaurants will be closed, but there's a good selection of places that will be open in the various townships. Low season in Thailand has a far nicer feel to it also, but take an umbrella!

London, United...
7 posts
2. Re: Khao Lak, Thailand in September

Hi, thanks very much for your reply. I don't mind a bit of rain as expected in rainy

season. I hope there won't be too many restaurants closed as we will only have

breakfast in the hotel and don't want to rely only on hotel restaurant to have a dinner.

We want to stay in Moracea resort which is closed to Khao lak centre.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: Khao Lak, Thailand in September

There are only two private beach restaurants in the vicinity of the Moracea which is located on Sunset Beach. One is about 400 metres to the right on Nang Thong Beach next to the Suwan Palm resort called Khao Lak Friends Restaurant and another whose name escapes me about 300 metres to the left both of which may be open as they are in fairly protected areas. Then at the far end of Sunset Beach up a steep flight of stairs towards the highway there is the Muan Lai Restaurant perched overlooking the beach and with the best view anywhere of the northern coastline. Great for a sunset dinner!

However, just down the highway from the main entrance to the Moracea is the entrance to Bang La On the main township of Khao Lak where about half or a more of the over two hundred restaurants plus many shops and bars are to be found along either side of "the strip". The first restaurant you reach on the right is the excellent Evereyday2 with the popular Brit/Thai Walkers Inn a short distanmce past. You will have no problems at all finding dining opportunities for lunch and dinner outside the resort. The best and most popular restaurants stay open most of the year in Bang La On.

London, United...
7 posts
4. Re: Khao Lak, Thailand in September

Thanks Arandora, so how far is Bang La On from Moracea? Is it within walking distance?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
5. Re: Khao Lak, Thailand in September

The entrance to the Moracea is down near the bottom of the highway coming over the mountain from Phuket. The Everyday which I mentioned is a nice 10 minute stroll down hill. The centre of Bang La On at the Nang Thong Supermarket is a further 20 minutes or so with restaurants, bars and shops on both sides and then there are more restaurants bars and shops for another 15 minutes or so. So nice walk out and taxi back. :-)

You can also walk along the beach from the Moracea, go past the Sensimar and rocks across past the Laguna Resort then cut through the access road to the Baan Khao Lak just before the Khao Lak Friends Restaurant to the highway or go up at the KL Friends and there is a road running parallel with the beach that will take you to the Nang Thong Beach Road to the Nang Thong Supermarket. Plenty of restaurants and bars that way too. You need to take care if you go back hat way in the dark when crossing from the Laguna to the Sensimar because of the rocks.

Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
598 posts
25 reviews
6. Re: Khao Lak, Thailand in September

I stayed at Moracea on my first visit to Khao Lak. Bang La On is within easy walking distance - the south end is about 500 m down a slight hill from the entrance to Moracea. Of course, it's uphill going back. At a moderate walking pace:

South end BLO (Walkers Inn) - 10 min.

Centre (Nang Thong Supermarket) - 20 min.

North end (Smile) - 30 min.

London, United...
7 posts
7. Re: Khao Lak, Thailand in September

Thanks Arandora and Cruisemonkey. It looks like the Moracea resort

is located close to the center and most of the restaurants. This is what

we were looking for. I hope it is a nice resort too as the reviews on Trip Advisor

are very good.

Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
2 posts
8. Re: Khao Lak, Thailand in September

whole market is open only some of the restaurants are closed not all who are working just for high season not all only couple of restaurants are closed because the owner from these restaurants are from abroad and they go back to home for visit to the family . rest of the restaurants are everyday open now khaolak is not like after T sunami it used to be closed cos that time not enough tourist but now it is not like that .

Edited: 15 August 2015, 17:30
London, United...
7 posts
9. Re: Khao Lak, Thailand in September

Thanks for you reply montythetailor

10. Re: Khao Lak, Thailand in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2016, 09:48
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak