We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rain in Kano lak

1 post
Rain in Kano lak

hi we are due to go on our long awaited dream holiday to Khao lak next Tuesday and are panicky big time over the weather reports I've seen apparently we are due for heavy rain and storms with cloud and no sun everyday we are there!! I am seriously close to tears and don't know what to do!! Should I look into a destination change or adding in a visit else where? We need some sun on our skin and to get a bit of colour not to sit under dark wet clouds as we may as well stay in England.. Help???? x

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,984 posts
76 reviews
1. Re: Rain in Kano lak

There are lots of other posts regarding weather that you should read. This one is very useful tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g293915-i3686-k…

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-…

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-…

The reality is that you are travelling during the rainy season for this side of. Thailand so rain is likely. How long it will last is anyone's guess. The weather in August is being updated with some photos by someone who is there at the moment, it seems like there is a mix of hot sun and some rain at the Monet and this is probably typical rainy season weather.

You could change your plans to travel to the east coast (Koh Samui, Phangan, Tao) as it is their dry season - however this will likely cost you a lot of money and they have had some unseasonal rain recently too.

My best advice is to stop looking at the forecasts online! They are rarely accurate and all it will do is upset you. You can't change the weather, all you can change is how you react to it :)

It will still be hot and those dark clouds even if they are present all day still have very strong sun behind them. Don't make the mistake that many make and think you won't get burnt on these days, it can be very dangerous. I've gotten my best tans (when I wasn't as conscious of how damaging it can be) when I have travelled when it has been continually overcast. It can actually be quite lovely sitting out when the sun isn't blazing down :)

Edited: 05 August 2015, 16:51
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
360 posts
30 reviews
2. Re: Rain in Kano lak

< long awaited dream holiday........... I am seriously close to tears and don't know what to do!! >

A long awaited dream holiday and it never occured to you to do some rudimentary research before booking???????????

WoW!

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
146 reviews
3. Re: Rain in Kano lak

WOW.......

Relax Harri,

you will go home well relaxed, many shades darker ( can I say that ) and glad you came..

Enjoy...

Nakhon Si...
Level Contributor
971 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Rain in Kano lak

I was looking at a neighbours Facebook page in Takuapa this morning in readiness for my own visit. It showed heavy rain and wind. It is the rainy season, but if you don't get wall to wall sunshine it will be warm, with some sun. I'm not going for the weather, more like a great time meeting friends both old and new, sampling the varied culture and cuisine and having a relaxing time generally. I'm sure you'll have a great time also.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,726 posts
186 reviews
5. Re: Rain in Kano lak

not worth getting yourself worked up to tears, if a bit of rain worries you then I hope there is not a major drama.

But seriously, just enjoy, Khao Lak is beautiful and there is so much to see and do and even it is does rain, put on a rain poncho and get out and enjoy yourself. The weather will still be extremely warm and you can definitely get sunburnt even on cloudy days. Lying out in the sun burning your English skin is so dangerous so cover up and use sun screen and just enjoy your holiday. Khao Lak is worth the effort irrespective of the weather.

6. Re: Rain in Kano lak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2016, 10:48
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak