We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in August - Khao Lak

Malmo, Sweden
Level Contributor
16 posts
Weather in August - Khao Lak

Hello!

I booked a trip in may for a 2 weeks visit to khao lak. First visit to Asia ever, and first time in Thailand. The only opportunity I had to go was in August due to work/girlfriends university studies so I went on and booked. Sensimar Khaolak Beach Front Resort is where we will be staying at.

We are traveling on the 7th of august and staying to the 21st if august, and looking at the forecast right now... it suddently went from being decent in June July to maginificent crap in august exactly those two weeks.

Should I worry? or just take it as it comes?

Regards

Dawid Cxod Nowak

Edited: 03 August 2015, 16:53
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
360 posts
30 reviews
1. Re: Weather in August - Khao Lak

Its a roll of the dice to be honest, we went on the 8th August for two weeks the year before last and we had rain in the morning once or twice for an hour or two, but apart from that it was like living in an oven with bright blue skies the rest of the time.

However ive been avidly watching the new khao lak webcam for the last couple of weeks and frankly it's not stopped lashing it down!

So, in answer to your question.....Sorry mate, no damn clue what it will be like!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
2. Re: Weather in August - Khao Lak

Weather for next few days to be particularly bad - see phuketwan.com/tourism/…

Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
598 posts
25 reviews
3. Re: Weather in August - Khao Lak

Dawidcxod,

The forecast is completely meaningless. Nobody knows what the weather in Khao Lak will be like tomorrow.

mark g,

I'm in Khao Lak right now, and until today have been liberally applying sunblock for the last two weeks. On some days there has been some rain (if any) at night and very early in the mornings, but not what you would expect for 'green season'. Today, it rained almost all day except for about an hour between 10:00 and 11:00 AM.

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,981 posts
76 reviews
4. Re: Weather in August - Khao Lak

It is one of the risks of travelling in rainy season. You will have gotten a great price for your accommodation :)

As the others have listed, you really can never tell how it will be. You may be lucky and have little rain or have a lot. You can't change the weather so stop looking at the forecasts and just take it as it comes. I'm sure you will have a lovely time regardless.

Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
2,038 posts
1 review
5. Re: Weather in August - Khao Lak

Nang Thong Beach this morning:

http://tinyurl.com/pkqaya5

Malmo, Sweden
Level Contributor
16 posts
6. Re: Weather in August - Khao Lak

Then I will be crossing my fingers and hoping for the best when leaving on friday to Khao Lak.

Appriciate the pictures and Im monitoring the webcam :) Hopefully we wont be to unlucky and that we will enjoy every single second! :D

Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
598 posts
25 reviews
7. Re: Weather in August - Khao Lak

Remember... when it's raining in Khao Lak it's still 25+ degrees and hypothermia is extremely unlikely.

One of the great mysteries in life (to me) is why some people are compelled to get out of the pool when it starts to rain.

Malmo, Sweden
Level Contributor
16 posts
8. Re: Weather in August - Khao Lak

My plan is to wake up in the morning and hit the waters / waves for 10-15 min before breakfast... I love the ocean and Thailand made me want to go there even more.

So rain won't stop me but thunder will :/

Well fingers crossed ! Seems to be raining evenings whole day time it seems fine enough.

Edited: 05 August 2015, 04:18
Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
2,038 posts
1 review
9. Re: Weather in August - Khao Lak

August 4, we had our sweets:

http://tinyurl.com/oetmnyg

and then we had our sours:

http://tinyurl.com/nzevt86

More sweets:

http://tinyurl.com/ntokzvg

Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
598 posts
25 reviews
10. Re: Weather in August - Khao Lak

August 5

A very sour morning. I was 7 m 'under cover' with my coffee & cigarette at the back of The Leaf''s Rice Barn restaurant... getting wet from wind-driven rain... and the rain awnings were down! A really 'good' gust actually blew one of the framed oil paintings off its hanger on the wall.

Almost 1:00 PM now and it looks like the sun will appear shortly... must go claim my favorite pool lounger before one of the 'new' guests gets it (I'll have to have the management make me a 'Reserved' sign)... LOL.

Edited: 05 August 2015, 11:30
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak