We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice re booking accommodation for December

Sydney
Level Contributor
296 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Advice re booking accommodation for December

Hi,

We are a couple in our 60's planning a holiday to Singapore, Vietnam and Thailand. We will be celebrating our 39th wedding anniversary by the time we reach Khao Lak and want to celebrate and relax at a resort with a bit of luxury. There are certainly many places to choose from and so far I am mostly interested in Chongfa Beach Resort. But would consider other options.

We would love a beach bungalow but realise our budget close to 7800 THB (just over $A300) may mean we have to lower our expectations. We want

1. King bed preferred but double is ok

2 Air Conditioning

3 On nice beach with calm, clearish water

3. Close enough to walk to restaurants

4. Must include breakfast

5. Budget about 7800 night (staying 5 nights)

6. Prefer bungalow but a good resort with good breakfast and fantastic staff would be considered.

7. Prefer accommodation with not too many stairs due to a slight mobility issue

I also would like some advice as to whether leaving to book the accommodation a bit longer would possibly mean the prices will come down a little. Many other resorts offer a discount for paying in advance but not Chongfa. The garden bungalows are now priced about $A350 a night so if they were just a tad over my budget, say $A320 I could manage that. Thank you so much for taking the time to read my questions and hopefully help me to make this anniversary a special time.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice re booking accommodation for December

Mid December to mid January is Peak Season when prices are at their highest and availability at its lowest so better prices are earlier than that in December. The Chong Fah is a very nice and very popular resort and prices there, and indeed in other resorts, are unlikely to come down, more likely to go up as they become filled. The Chong Fah directly overlooks the beach but does not have a beach frontage because of tidal erosion .

You may wish to consider the Nang Thong Bay Resort or sister resort Nang Thong Beach Resort, both very popular bungalow resorts with pool and restaurant and well placed on Nang Thong Beach just down the road from Bang La On, the main township of Khao Lak with most restaurants, bars and shops. Otherwise have look in Booking.com for your dates and budget and come back for more info on any you fancy.

Sydney
Level Contributor
296 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice re booking accommodation for December

Thank you for your reply. We have decided we will hire a car from Phuket which will give us the opportunity to tour around and also find places to eat. We were impressed with the reviews of Chongfa and based this choice on Tripadvisor reviews and also the fact that it appears to be a bit more luxurious. I wonder how far one has to walk to swim on the beach if the beach in front of the hotel is eroded? Nang Thong Bay Resort is definitely a lot cheaper so I was wondering if Chongfa is more luxurious? That extra bit of a luxury feel is important for this stay as it is our anniversary and we want to feel as if it is that little bit special to other places we are staying which are mid-range.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice re booking accommodation for December

The Chong Fah is a lovely small 3* boutique resort but I don't think it claims to be a luxury resort. The best rooms are the seafront bungalows. It has a very good restaurant with speciality dinners several times a week. Also 2 for 1 Happy Hour drinks from 5.30 to 6.30pm every day - perfect for cocktails at sunset. That's where we go. You can swim about 400 metres in either direction.

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice re booking accommodation for December

Having a car, opens up a few more possibilities as to where to stay.

I'm sure others will add, but you might consider the Bayfront,.. the beach bungalows are nearly in the sea....

its not luxury, but a solid 3.5 - 4 star. Very Nice..

and there are multitudes of restos both ways that are only very short car ride away

plus you have the opportunity to explore the many wonderful beaches and beach restos, for lunches.

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice re booking accommodation for December

But they are not so private,,

as nice as they are, perhaps no..

Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
2,028 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice re booking accommodation for December

The rooms at Chong Fah are beautifully furnished and the decoration is quite special. In comparison, the rooms at Nang Thong Bay and Beach Resorts are comfortable but more spartanly decorated.

I think Chong Fah would give you a feeling of more "luxury" especially for such a big celebration as yours.

Sydney
Level Contributor
296 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice re booking accommodation for December

Thank you for your comments. We still haven't made our minds up. I am afraid we can't agree. Hubby isn't concerned that you can't swim in front of your resort but I feel that it is a lot of money to spend having to walk 400 metres or so to be able to swim. I am interested in Manathai but he feels it is too far to walk to restaurants. We have spend weeks trying to decide where to stay having originally thought that Koh Lanta was the destination. But found there was a lot of accommodation but not a lot with that feel of luxury without the high price tag to go with it. I will keep looking.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice re booking accommodation for December

There are upwards of 18 or so restaurants, bars and massage places a short walk to the left of the Manathai arm cross on Pak Weeb Beach. It is on beautiful Bang Sak Beach with great swimming directly in front and both ways.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
360 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice re booking accommodation for December

Hi firstimetraveller,

FWIW, I've stayed twice at chongfah and I used to swim for hours on end, every day, slap bag in front of the hotel!

I would reccomend you stop your seaching, you've found the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in and probably the best in Khao lak too. The only reason I'm not going to Chongfah this year is the prices :((

We had our twenty fifth there. Just book it you'll love it!

Regards,

Mark.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
360 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice re booking accommodation for December

Just to add, we had the beach bungalow too, and they are super nice!

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak