We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Thailand

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
123 posts
47 reviews
First time to Thailand

Hi

This will be our first time to Thailand and we are looking at going to Khao Lak and were wondering where the best and cheapest restaurants are,what trips there are nearby,what the average price of food and drink is and any other useful tips anyone has

Many thanks everyone

K

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: First time to Thailand

First, when are you thinking of going as that will affect the weather. November to April is Dry (High) Season with mid December to mid January being Peal Season when prices of accommodation are highest. All restaurants and bars open and all tours running. May to October is Wet (Low) Season when accommodation prices are lowest but some restaurants, particularly at the beach, close because of the weather and beach conditions and tours to the Similan and Surin Islands don't run because of rough/dangerous seas.

* Best and cheapest restaurants? There are now over 200 restaurants throughout Khao Lak listed in the TripAdvisor reviews which you can read at tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurants-g297914-Khao_L… and which give their location and an idea of price. However, most of the very local restaurants and food courts/stalls are not listed and this is where you will get the cheapest but delicious local food. At a typical Thai restaurant in the main areas expect to pay about 500 - 600 baht for a starter, main course (curry, stir fry with chicken, pork, beef or prawns, whole fish or fillet a bit more expensive) with rice or noodles a beer or two. A small beer in a restaurant or car is about 60-80 baht, large beer 90-120 baht, soft drink 30 baht, cocktail 90 - 150 baht but plenty of Happy Hour prices.

* Trips and tours? Have a look here at pics of popular Things to Do in and around Khao Lak tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k… Plenty more information in the Top Question FAQs on the right best viewed on the Full Site on a PC or laptop and by clicking to Things to Do link on the Green Menu bar at the top of the list of topics.

* Useful Tips? - if you want an idea of accommodation, in addition to your dates an idea of your budget for accommodation, type of accommodation (Hotel type or bungalow), near to restaurants and shops or don't mind walking or getting a taxi or hotel shuttle, will help with suggestions.

Here is a list of accommodation throughout Khao Lak www.seadragondivecenter.com/accommodation.htm Using Budget.com for your dates and budget will give a good idea of what is available. Then come back for info on any you fancy.

Have a look here at latest maps to give you an idea of the various area that comprise Khao Lak and its 25km of glorious beaches tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

Hope this helps.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
13,432 posts
169 reviews
2. Re: First time to Thailand

The Khao Lak TA forum has the most informative set of FAQ's I've seen on a TA forum, thanks to Arandoras hard work.

I really don't understand why people don't bother looking at them before asking questions ??.

I'm going to Khao Lak in Jan 2016 for the 1st time, & thanks to Arandora, I already feel like I've already been there several times before :) :)

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: First time to Thailand

Cheers Jay

I do wonder sometimes whether it is worth maintaining the FAQs, especially since these days many people view the forum on smartphones apps when they are not shown, although you can change to the Full Site to view them. Also because there are no stats available it is not possible to see just how many members are using them. I take the optimistic view that many people view them and get the information they wanted or ask for updates or extra information. Equally I would like to know which are no longer useful or too outdated as Khao Lak has progressed so rapidly it is hard to keep up.

California
Level Contributor
90 posts
42 reviews
4. Re: First time to Thailand

Fully agree on the Khao Lak forum FAQ's being very informative and useful.

A must read for anyone planning a visit!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
50 posts
5. Re: First time to Thailand

I really must chime in here too with regards the FAQs........

they are *so* good one doesn't really need to ask many questions on the forum as all the answers are there in the FAQs.

We only booked about 3 weeks ago, have never been to KL before. I asked one question on the forum (about car hire/driving) which was answered in full by Arandora and a few others. One of those replying to my car hire question gave me a nudge towards the FAQs, and like has been said above, I have never set foot in Khao Lak, but through the FAQ page and all the links to maps, webcams, car hire, routes for drives, best beaches, restaurants and so on, well I can honestly say I have never been so well prepared for any holiday.

I sat proudly telling my husband the other day that the red roofed thing outside Nan Thong supermarket, next to Khao Lak Land Discovery (on the webcam) was the pancake lady, and could tell him the price of her pineapple pancakes and what time she set up her stall and how late she cleared off for the night, he was quite astounded, lol.

This all came from various info found in or via the FAQs. I know the market days and times, best elephant tours, where I need to go to buy my prescription glasses (thanks Mr & Mrs Arandora), where to hire a car, which map to buy and where to buy it, and so much more. I would say the FAQs are SO good, that many people, like me, just squirrel away all the info "silenty". If that makes sense. I must have about 10 pages worth of info copied and pasted into a word.doc to take with us.

So another thumbs up from a grateful FAQ reader :-)

It is such a pity that you have no way of knowing how many reads those things are getting as I am quite sure its a LOT, just people like me don't necessarily think to give feedback.

Keep up the good work !

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
6. Re: First time to Thailand

Very gratifying. Thank you. I hope you add to that knowledge whilst enjoying Khao Lak and joining the Khao Lak Lovers Club and then continue spreading the word on the forum for others.

7. Re: First time to Thailand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2016, 09:48
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak