We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for nice beach, close to some restaurants and shops

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
918 posts
124 reviews
Looking for nice beach, close to some restaurants and shops

My husband and I are looking for a nice, quieter hotel on a nice beach. I thought I had one picked with the Manathai Khao Lake but the reviews say it's quite isolated. What resort would be a compromise between being amongst the crowds of people and being so isolated that we have to take a taxi to town? Good swimming beach is important.

We are going in January so I'm sure it will be busy. The other place I liked was Chongfah Beach Resort but it's a little pricey. The Manathai is more in our price range (under $200 Cdn). The Ramada also sounds good but a little on the high side. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

norwich
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
32 reviews
1. Re: Looking for nice beach, close to some restaurants and shops

Hi, have you considered the la flora or mukdara resorts along the same beach as the ramada and Chong fah resorts. Other options might be the Laguna resort or the merlin resorts on different beaches.

I'm sure arandora the resident D.E. Will be along shortly to give you a more comprehensive reply.

Edited: 12 July 2015, 12:14
melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
146 reviews
2. Re: Looking for nice beach, close to some restaurants and shops

Have a look at the Bayfront, a small resort, great swimming beach and a short ride to many restos

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: Looking for nice beach, close to some restaurants and shops

Those mentioned by NB1 and Procol plus on Sunset Beach where the Bayfront is located, the Wanaburee, Moracea and Palm Beach Resorts.

Whilst the recently extensively refurbished and re-opened Manathai is in a secluded position it is in a beautiful location on lovely, unspoiled Bang Sak Beach with over a dozen restaurants and bars plus massage places a short walk to the left down the beach and across the footbridge on Pak Weeb Beach. See pics of Bang Sak Beach including near the Manathai at https:/…

Incidentally whilst from mid-December to mid-January is the most popular period in Khao Lak, it is never "busy" compared with other larger destinations.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
918 posts
124 reviews
4. Re: Looking for nice beach, close to some restaurants and shops

Thanks everyone for all the help. I think I have narrowed it down to either Bayfront or Manathai as they are similarly priced. I tried to contact Paradise resort but haven't heard back from them. Bay front seems to be a better location in terms of walking to town or getting a taxi for 100 baht. Is Sunset beach nice? We like to go for long walks and my husband NEEDS to swim..lol. Is the beach at Manathai rocky? The pics I saw from your link Arandora looks full of coral or rocks. Maybe that was a particularly rough water day? Of the two I've picked which would be better for a couple looking for a smaller boutique hotel with a nice beach but close to small restaurants (walking distance). Thanks again

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
5. Re: Looking for nice beach, close to some restaurants and shops

Duncan

I think you were looking at the pics of the far northern end of Bang Sak Beach just north of the Sentido Gracelands Resort which is rocky. The pics from 67-81 in the link are of the stretch immediately in front of the Manathai and of the resort itself. It is a very long beach and very good for swimming at the Manathai.

Sunset Beach is a lovely compact beach with good, safe swimming. For longer walks you can cross over on to the immediately adjacent Nang Thong Beach at the Laguna Resort just past the Sensimar, which I should have mentioned before as an option. Here are pics of Sunset Beach https:/…

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
918 posts
124 reviews
6. Re: Looking for nice beach, close to some restaurants and shops

Thanks for clarifying the pics. 67-81 looks amazing. I know we would love the quiet and the beach. As long as we can find 4-5 places to eat or have a drink within walking distance I would be happy at Manathai. I don't even mind taking a taxi for a short distance, just not all the way to town, as it sounds quite costly. It does look gorgeous. Of the two which resort would you go to for 5 nights?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
7. Re: Looking for nice beach, close to some restaurants and shops

I think the new owners have made an excellent job of completely refurbishing and extending the former Royal Bangsak Beach Resort. We were very impressed when we had a walk around last February and so were the guests we spoke to at the time. The only reservation is that whilst there are now some beach facing villas the main accommodation is in a side facing block not far from the beach but with no sea view. If that is not a problem I think it is a great value resort in a beautiful secluded location. In January the upwards of 20 restaurants to the left on Pak Weeb Beach will have more than enough choice for you. There is a shuttle into Bang la On or Bang Niang or taxis near the entrance if you want to do some shopping or visit the three afternoons a week market in Bang Niang, about 20 minutes away.

Since you like long walks, turn right and walk along the beach (taking plenty of water with you as it IS a long walk) and in about 30-45 minutes you will reach Bang Sak Promenade, which is elevated above the beach and has restaurants on one side of the beach serving food for you to eat on the other overlooking the ocean. Beautiful spot at sunset. Catch a taxi back to the Manathai after dinner!

If it's all about location then the Manathai has it.

Enjoy!

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
918 posts
124 reviews
8. Re: Looking for nice beach, close to some restaurants and shops

Thanks, you've sold me. I'm booking Manathai. Really appreciate all your help.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
918 posts
124 reviews
9. Re: Looking for nice beach, close to some restaurants and shops

The resort is offering to pick us up in Phuket for 2400 baht for private car transfer. Are there less expensive options? We arrive at 2:00 pm at the airport.

Thanks

Nakhon Si...
Level Contributor
971 posts
8 reviews
10. Re: Looking for nice beach, close to some restaurants and shops

A transfer arranged through one of the links in the FAQ list will be about 1500 for a car.

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak