We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Strange request. ... mushrooms

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
219 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Strange request. ... mushrooms

This may seem a strange request but since emigrating to Australia 12 years ago one of the dishes I miss most from my uk homeland is the very dated, 70's beefeater-style starter breaded/ deep fried mushrooms! I found a lovely beachfront cafe in Sanur, Bali that served them and it was my mid afternoon treat most days I was there.

Can I get this in Khaolak anywhere? If it could be washed down with a cider that would be even better 😆. Oh staying at The Sands so within a hour walk of there preferably. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Sanur
Sanur
Denpasar, Indonesia
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
22,654 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Strange request. ... mushrooms

Hi MctoMel

Sorry, I can't advise where you can get the mushrooms you're hankering for in Thailand and as you mentioned that you've enjoyed them previously in Sanur, I'd be most interested to know the name of the restaurant as I also am particularly fond of them.

As an aside, from your post, I'm not sure whether you meant that you've been unable to get them in Melbourne. If not, please send me a PM and I can give you information about how to access and cook them yourself. They are particularly great with a crab stuffing which I make from time to time.

Edited: 21 June 2015, 10:14
Mentioned in this post
Sanur
Sanur
Denpasar, Indonesia
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
219 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Strange request. ... mushrooms

Hi travelkat88

I will PM you for recipe (bear in mind we don't possess a deep fryer). The place in Sanur where I enjoy the breaded mushrooms (think they may be called panko mushrooms??) with a yummy garlic mayo is called Tootsies bar. It was a tiny beach bar when we first discovered it but now has a n indoor eating area too if it's too hot dining with your feet in the sand which we prefer. Tootsies shop (just behind restaurant) is also good for fixed price bargains if you don't like to haggle.

tripadvisor.com.au/Restaurant_Review-g297700…

Mentioned in this post
Sanur
Sanur
Denpasar, Indonesia
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,395 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Strange request. ... mushrooms

Back to Khao Lak. ;-) Can't recall breaded mushrooms but you generally get some in batter with other vegetables in vegetable tempura. Not a lot of cider about either yet other than in supermarkets.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
4. Re: Strange request. ... mushrooms

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2016, 10:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak