We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Hotel Prices

Hertfordshire
Level Contributor
13 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Best Hotel Prices

We will be in Khao Lak mid March for 6 nights, when would be the best time to book a hotel for the best price. At the moment we are undecided on either the Ramada or Sensimar. The Ramada is quite a lot more expensive, is it worth it and will the price drop nearer the time. Thank you for any help.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Nakhon Si Thammarat...
Level Contributor
936 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Hotel Prices

If your visit coincides with Easter, then I would decide and book now.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,395 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Hotel Prices

If you rad the reviews I think you wil see that the Ramada is generally rated higher and liked better than the Adult Only Sensimar. It is certainly very popular and has received numerous awards. IMO it has a better beachfront location on the widest and best part of Bang Niang Beach whereas that in front of the Sensimar is more restricted with rocks nearby. The Sensimar is at the entrance to Bang La On, the main township of Khao Lak, with the most restaurants, shops and bars. The Ramada has easy access to restaurants on either side by it and overlooking the beach and on the nearby roads up to and on the highway. The three afternoons a week Bang Nuang market is an easy stroll too.

I don't know what the price difference currently us but I doubt whether the Ramada's will fall to much for next March unless there is a deal advertised but then the dates might not suit you.

Mentioned in this post
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
598 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Hotel Prices

I've been following hotel/resort prices in Khao Lak almost daily on a multitude of booking sites and direct on hotel websites for over four years now.

What I can tell you is - there's no 'pattern' to pricing. Also, the ubiquitous 'Best Price Guarantee' is virtually meaningless. In order to 'collect', you have to find/make another booking for the same room type on the same dates with exactly the same booking conditions... and virtually NONE have exactly the same conditions.

My best advise is to shop around. Check every booking site you can find as well as directly with the resort. In general, sites that require a deposit (or full payment) at the time of booking are a little cheaper. Make sure you're comparing 'apples to apples': taxes?... service charge?... resort fee?... breakfast?... and always read the fine print re: cancellation penalties (if any) and the time frame for cancellation. Some might charge nothing, some a fixed fee, some a fixed fee plus a percentage, some 1 night, and some 100%. Usually, a non-refundable booking where you pay the entire amount when you book, will give the best price.

However, I'm extremely leery of making any non-refundable booking. Prices can and do fluctuate - sometimes dramatically and for a very short window of opportunity. You never know. Even resorts that are part of the same chain may not follow the same pattern.

I like to use Booking.com because their prices are competitive and have taxes & fees 'up front' - unlike Agoda... where they tell you the "Total Price" NOT including taxes & fees (which you don't find out until you go through entire booking process). Usually (it varies) no deposit is required and there's free cancellation until 7 days before.

I use Booking.com... until I find a better price (I almost always do). Because of their (usual) free cancellation policy, If the price drops, I cancel and re-book. Sometimes, if the savings are significant, I'll monitor prices until 8 days 'before'... when I'll cancel and book through a different site (like HotelsThailand.com) that requires full payment 'up front'.

Last year in July & Aug. at The Leaf on The Sands, the best price I found for a Villa Room w/breakfast, taxes & fees included, was 1428 baht/night. In March, I was searching prices for this July & Aug. and found Expedia had Villa Rooms w/breakfast, taxes & fees included, for 1012 baht/night (no deposit and free cancellation). I cancelled my Booking.com booking and booked with Expedia! This price lasted only 4 or 5 days before rebounding to the 'normal' (Booking.com) low season price - 1553 baht/night w/free cancellation. Today, on Expedia it's 1840 baht/night w/free cancellation (1553 non-refundable).

In short -

Shop around, check prices frequently... and keep checking. Use 'free cancellation' to your advantage if / when you find a 'sale' price.

Happy hunting!

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
The Leaf on The Sands
The Leaf on The Sands
309 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
285 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Hotel Prices

G , you must have plenty of free time !!

Rob

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
12,425 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Hotel Prices

Very good post cruisemonkey. Wish I could give it a star, its great advice for those who are prepared to spend a bit more time

I do the same as you roughly, once my free cancellation hotels are booked several months in advance (I normally stay in around 10-12 hotels per trip) , I regularly monitor prices, watching for any sudden drops in price, which as you say, may only be available for 24 hours or so. Very happy to cancel a booking & book the same room for even less, or find an even better hotel has now become cheaper :)

Yes, doing this does take time, a lot of time, but its all part of my trip planning for me & I'm prepared to put the time into planning my trip.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Hotel Prices

With Agoda the tax inclusive price appears as soon as you press 'Book Now'.

So it's on the 2nd page instead of the opening page. You're going to browse through reviews and photos anyway, so finding the fully inclusive price is simple, you just need to be aware of it.

I prefer to pay upfront, so am leaning away from Booking.com and using Agoda.

Life's too short for messing about cancelling and re-booking just to save a few baht.

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Hotel Prices

Hotels.Com is another one to keep a look out for, some quite good prices at times

they also regularly have promos of up to 10 % off the already cheap prices.

well they do in Aus.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,395 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Hotel Prices

Booking.com and Agoda are part of the same group just different websites , displays and booking procedures but sometimes show different prices or properties to appear to be more competitive.

Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
598 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Hotel Prices

I do spend a fair bit of time 'looking', but not as much as you may think. Sites like Hotels Combined and Trivago give you prices from multiple booking sites at a glance... so do the TA hotel review pages.

Besides, it's kind of a hobby - 'the thrill of the hunt' and all that - as well as: the anticipation being almost as good as the realization.

Lancaster Lad,

You're right about Agoda - it's changed and you no longer have to enter all your info. to find out the total with tax.

However, for my current booking at The Leaf OTS in July & August (Villa room, tax & service incl. w/breakfast):

Agoda 1553/night

Expedia 1012/night

That's a difference of 541 baht/night. Multiplied by 56 nights = 30,296 baht. That may be "a few baht" to Bill Gates, but not to me.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Hotel Prices

<<<That's a difference of 541 baht/night. Multiplied by 56 nights = 30,296 baht. That may be "a few baht" to Bill Gates, but not to me.>>>

There could be a catch. Might be same standard of villa room, but the better deal room might have some inconveniences, eg above or close to the bar/restaurant/entertainment, or near the car park. On the other hand you could have bagged a bargain..

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak