We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice accommodation on beach close to restaurants

Sydney
Level Contributor
296 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Nice accommodation on beach close to restaurants

Hi,

We will be travelling to Singapore and possibly Vietnam in December and I am looking at choosing somewhere special to celebrate out 39th wedding anniversary. I have researched and found that the West Coast of Thailand will have nice weather so I'm considering adding Thailand to our itinerary if we can find something on the beach, with air conditioning and breakfast available. I am hoping that we can snorkel off the beach but maybe this is a big ask. If there is a better location that would suit snorkelling from the beach I am open to options. I don't want to be limited to eating at the restaurants in the hotel'resort so having some eateries close by would be an advantage. I was hoping to limit my budge to $A400 a night and stay 4 nights but if it is more expensive I will only stay 2 nights. I would love some recommendations of places that you believe fit the bill remembering this is a special time for us. I may not be able to snorkel from a boat as I get very sea sick hence my request for off beach snorkelling. Thank you for taking the time to read my question.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice accommodation on beach close to restaurants

Hi

Khao Lak ticks all your boxes except unfortunately for snorkeling from the beach. Khao Lak is a long coastal resort area with over 25km of beautiful beaches (pics of which from the last High Season you can see at tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k… ) but it is tidal and there are no in shore reefs so the constant movement of the water and the tides don't allow for clear water.

Accommodation prices are at their highest between December 15th and January 15th and especially over the peak Xmas and New Year periods. Direct beachfront accommodation is always the most expensive. However, $A400 will, subject to dates and availability get you some very decent beachfront or beach facing accommodation. I've used Booking.com for search purposes as it features most of Khao Lak's resorts and is usually very competitive in prices and used 4 nights from 16th to 20th December to give the following suggestions:

- 4* Adult Only Sensimar Resort. Located direct beachfront at the junction of Sunset and Nang Thong Beaches and at the entrance to Bang la On, the main township of Khao Lak with many restaurants, bars and shops.

- 4* Moracea Resort. Next door to the left of the Sensimar on Sunset Beach and recently extended and refurbished. Good beachfront bungalows.

- 4* Khao Lak Laguna Resort. Family resort next door to the right of the Sensimar on Nang Thong Beach with very good villa accommodation down near the beach.

- 4* Sands Resort. Very popular (especially with Aussies) large fairly new resort located at the further end of Nang Thong Beach but with its entrance on the highway at the northern end of the restaurants etc in Bang La On.

- 4* Ramada Resort. Very popular and highly acclaimed resort on Bang Niang Beach, second largest township with lots of more varied cuisine restaurants, bars and small shops nearby and the big and lively 3 afternoons a week market.

- 3* Chong Fah Resort. Very popular small boutique resort directly overlooking Bang Niang Beach but no beach frontage because of erosion over the years.

- 5* J W Marriott Resort. Located on the long but more secluded Khuk Khak Beach with just a few local restaurants by its side on the beach and near its main entrance but only 10/15 minutes by shuttle/taxi from Bang Niang and Bang La On.

- 4* Orchid Beach Resort. Best booked direct as it is cheaper and great deals usually on offer. Direct beachfront on Khuk Khak Beach but with just a few dining options nearby. 10/15 minutes to Bang Niang/Bang La On.

I could go on as all the best hotels are featured within your budget on the dates I have used. Best if you use your own and see what is available and what appeals and then come back for more information.

Sydney
Level Contributor
296 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice accommodation on beach close to restaurants

Wow. Thanks so much. You have given me a lot of options to think about. I'll spend some time looking at these recommendations and since our dates are looking like being about 8 to 12th I am sure we will find something to suit us.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice accommodation on beach close to restaurants

I'm sure you wiil. This is a list of accommodation throughout Khao Lak by area www.seadragondivecenter.com/accommodation.htm and thisc a link to the latest maps showing the various areas tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

4. Re: Nice accommodation on beach close to restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2016, 09:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak