We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Khao Lak

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Driving in Khao Lak

Hi,

I am wondering if it is ok to drive in Khao Lak? I have hired a car in Koh Samui before and have a International Drivers Licence.

Also I will be staying at the Haven in Khao lak, so any good tailors in that area?

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
146 reviews
1. Re: Driving in Khao Lak

Ok it is,

just be aware that you might be passed either side by motor bikes, cars, buses.

keep all your eyes in both the front and the back of your head primed.

its fine, fun and you get too explore and enloy miles of picture perfect beaches at your own pace.

we do...

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
2. Re: Driving in Khao Lak

Hi Anthony

I have driven a hire car in and around Khao Lak since we first found Khao Lak nearly 10 years ago now. Once you get away from Phuket Airport driving is perfectly straightforward but you need to be vigilant at all times mostly for scooters, both local and tourist drivers, and at night. A car guves you great access to all of Khao Lak's beaches and to touristy and non-touristy places in your own time. Have a look at this Travellers Article I wrote with some ideas for self-drive trips and links to some others tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g297914-c167750/Kha…

The Haven is fairly isolated with only the Orchid Beach Resort and the Blue Lagoon Resort and just a handful of local restaurants nearby on that stretch of Khuk Khak Beach. The main townships of Bang Niang and Bang La On where you will find most restaurants, bars and shops, including tailors, are a 10 to 15 minute drive away.

The main Highway 4 which runs all the way from Bangkok to the Malaysian border runs right through Khao Lak and has recently been upgraded to 4-6 lanes from the start of Bang La On when you come over the mountain from Phuket to just north of Bang Niang and although a set of traffic lights has been installed in each of these towns it is still a very fast and busy road, so take care for yourselves, scooters and other vehicles, and, of course, pedestrians. Visitors in particular seem to forget that when they are in Khao Lak (and other places) priority on roads is for vehicles not for them and often on the side roads just walk off the pavement (if there is one) into the road or stroll along in the middle of it without any thought of cars approaching.

You may find the tips for driving in Thailand here useful:

http://driving.information.in.th/

and

carhirephuket.com/driving-tips/…

and

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g293920-c126620/Phu…

Mornington...
Level Contributor
184 posts
100 reviews
3. Re: Driving in Khao Lak

Can't help with driving but the Tailor I have been to on 3 occasions is Monty The Tailor and his brother Tony. They are in Bang La On , not the cheapest but I have business suits etc made and very good fit and quality.

Cheers

4. Re: Driving in Khao Lak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2016, 11:57
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak