We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying interesting food to bring home

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
33 reviews
Buying interesting food to bring home

Hi

Does anyone have a favourite curry or satay pack that they bring home to Australia. A couple of years ago I bought a block satay pack in Bali and we loved it. I know they must be sealed and pre wrapped and I always declare to customs. I am interested in what others bring home and where they buy it from

Linda

perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
67 reviews
1. Re: Buying interesting food to bring home

Hi Linda

I'm not very keen on curry paste as i can the big jar here in Asian grocery stores. But I love to buy those Thai sweets that made from coconut, tamarind, durian just to name a few. Also one of my all time favorites snacks made from dry rice topped with palm sugar. You can get them from supermarket but you will see more of them at duty free shops.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,810 posts
89 reviews
2. Re: Buying interesting food to bring home

We buy the pastes every trip from the stalls at the Bang Niang 3 times a week market. They come in 100g packs, vac sealed approx. 10cm square. The Green & Penang are both great, just mix with coconut cream as per the instructions on the pack. We cant get anything close to it here in Sydney. They are fine with Quarantine, just declare them.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
33 reviews
3. Re: Buying interesting food to bring home

Thanks Tezzat that is what I am interested in. Is there much choice of stuff?

Linda

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
33 reviews
4. Re: Buying interesting food to bring home

Thanks SP I am not really into sweets though.

Linda

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
5. Re: Buying interesting food to bring home

As Tezzat says, there is a good choice on the Bang Niang Market opposite the Police Boat. There are two stalls in the main aisles area in particular, both owned by same person that has a big choice of curry pastes, spices, cook books and local accessories. There is a bigger choice at the confusingly same named Bang Niang day market up the highway from Bang Niang next to the Khuk Khak market. Many restaurants source their pastes and ingredients here. Well worth a visit for the atmosphere - and smells!

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
33 reviews
6. Re: Buying interesting food to bring home

same named Bang Niang day market up the highway from Bang Niang next to the Khuk Khak market

Thanks Arandora. Is that open all the time or only market days?

Linda

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
9,966 posts
7. Re: Buying interesting food to bring home

We always bring loads of this back home. You can get it at Tesco Lotus, Big C and Top's supermarkets.

http://www.roithai.com/www/product_en.php

Edited: 29 April 2015, 13:19
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
8. Re: Buying interesting food to bring home

Linda

The main market is open every day from very early but on the 3 afternoons a week market days (Monday, Wednesday and Saturday) most stalls close after lunch to set up on the 3 day market.

la0wei

No substitute for freshly made local price. ;-)

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
9,966 posts
9. Re: Buying interesting food to bring home

There is, at least if you are as lazy as I am ;)

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,810 posts
89 reviews
10. Re: Buying interesting food to bring home

Linda, the two stalls Alan mentions is where we buy them, great choice available. We bought back only a few of the small vac sealed packs a couple of trips ago to check with Quarantine here in Sydney. We got the ok that trip and bought back a couple of dozen packs last November, declared them again & no problems. We are heading back again in two weeks to top up the pantry as the kids are hooked now after being given a few sample packs. All I can say is our local Thai Restaurant is missing us.

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak