We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying Spirits in Khao Lak

London, United...
4 posts
Buying Spirits in Khao Lak

Hi everyone, I'm off to Khao Lak from next Saturday for 2 weeks and I'm really excited as its my surprise gift for my fiancées birthday. Is it possible to buy branded spirits out there such as Bacardi and Smirnoff? Not to take home but to drink there? If so how much approx do they cost? I have thought about bringing some in my suitcase but I'm worried they could smash.

Thanks!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Buying Spirits in Khao Lak

Yes you can buy those, and other brands in Khao Lak, at prices not much more than in UK. However, you can get Bacardi and Smirnoff cheaper at supermarkets in UK and if you wrap one bottle (remembering that your limit into Thailand is 1 litre per person) carefully (I use T-shirts) in each case they should survive OK and then you only need to top up in Khao Lak. Nang Thong Supermarket in the centre of Bang :La On has biggest selection at about 500 baht per 70 cl bottle with the nearby Andaman Mini-mart being a bit cheaper. The cheapest place we've found in Khao Lak is the minimart belonging to the Krua Rim Tang Restaurant which is on the road leading down from the highway to White Sand Beach/The Boatyard/The Apsara and other resorts on Cape Pakarang. It has a great selection of decent wines cheaper than anywhere else in Khao Lak.

Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
53 posts
92 reviews
2. Re: Buying Spirits in Khao Lak

Hi

There is a small duty free in the arrivals terminal in Phuket Airport on arrival if you don't want to risk items being broken in your suitcase. I am flying out this Saturday we normally buy gin there so will let you know what the prices are when we get there for comparison.

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
106 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Buying Spirits in Khao Lak

Hi, the same answer you can buy them there not a lot in the cost from home, not worth the hassle to buy at home you will not save a lot of money

London, United...
4 posts
4. Re: Buying Spirits in Khao Lak

Thanks everyone! Not long to go now :)

Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
53 posts
92 reviews
5. Re: Buying Spirits in Khao Lak

Hi there checked out the prices at Phuket airport on arrival. Smirnoff was 520 and Bacardi was 680 THB these were litre bottles. Hope this helps. Sun is shining and 36 degrees enjoy your stay!

London, United...
4 posts
6. Re: Buying Spirits in Khao Lak

Thanks Allyson. I cannot wait and it's not long to go!

7. Re: Buying Spirits in Khao Lak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2016, 11:45
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak