We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Various Questions

Level Contributor
18 posts
Various Questions

Hello

I will be going with my parents to Khao Lak for one week at the start of May and we will be staying at Sentido Graceland. Any advice and comments would be appreciated!

1/ As there are three of us, I am thinking it will be more economical if we arrange our own transport (eg. taxi) to Chiew Lan Lake and then arranging a tour from the pier? Is this possible and are the tours available at any time of the day?

2/ I have read some information that indicates that the Takua Pa Market is only open on Sundays but some other information I have read indicates that it is open every day so am confused about the opening times? I understand the Market will be closed during the Wet Season and would like to know if it will have closed by early May?

3/ If it has, I’m thinking Old Town itself would still be worth a half day visit. Are taxis easily available so that we can be dropped off there, pick up a taxi to go to Little Amazon and then get a taxi back to the hotel after we have finished? Or, would it be better to hire a driver for the day?

4/ Has anyone who has stayed at Sentido Graceland know when their shuttles to Bang La On and Bang Niang depart each day?

5/ One more question… what is an approximate price for tiger prawns in restaurants?

Thank you in advance!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Various Questions

1/ As there are three of us, I am thinking it will be more economical if we arrange our own transport (eg. taxi) to Chiew Lan Lake and then arranging a tour from the pier? Is this possible and are the tours available at any time of the day?

- Not necessarily because if you arrange a taxi to take you there and bring you back the charge will reflect the driver's waiting time for however length of trip you take. For instance, Boss of Cheaper than Hotel Taxis will provide car plus driver only or car plus driver plus tour. Contact him for quotes then ask a local taxi driver and ask for a quote of transfer inly. The cost of tours in the lake will depend on what you want to see/do and how long. The tours in the lake run from daylight until return before dusk and anytime in between.

2/ I have read some information that indicates that the Takua Pa Market is only open on Sundays but some other information I have read indicates that it is open every day so am confused about the opening times? I understand the Market will be closed during the Wet Season and would like to know if it will have closed by early May?

- The Takua Pa Old Town Walking Street Market only opens on Sunday afternoons from about 3pm to 7pm. At other times it is just an ordinary street. Perhaps you or the source of your information is confusing it with the Takua Pa New Town Market which is an enclosed mainly fresh food market behind the Bus Station in the New Town about 15 minutes by road away. There is no fixed closing date. That depends on weather and visitors. Any tour agent will tell you if it still open when you arrive.

3/ If it has, I’m thinking Old Town itself would still be worth a half day visit. Are taxis easily available so that we can be dropped off there, pick up a taxi to go to Little Amazon and then get a taxi back to the hotel after we have finished? Or, would it be better to hire a driver for the day?

- if the Old Town Market is not on, a half day is too much to just walk around what is essentially a local town with very interesting architecture, a nice Chinese temple and an unspectacular Thai temple (with a better one up the road towards the New Town). Contact Boss as above or Lora of Dior Travel in Bang Niang, a qualified guide and tour shop owner who can arrange a guided or unguided tour. Contact her on diorkhaolak@yahoo.co.th

4/ Has anyone who has stayed at Sentido Graceland know when their shuttles to Bang La On and Bang Niang depart each day?

5/ One more question… what is an approximate price for tiger prawns in restaurants

2. Re: Various Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 07 April 2015, 21:38
Level Contributor
18 posts
3. Re: Various Questions

Hi Arandora

Thank you very much for your comprehensive answers and advice!

Yes, I think I got confused with the markets in Old Town and New Town. I will get in contact with the people you have mentioned.

Thanks again!

4. Re: Various Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2016, 09:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak