We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Encounters with leeches?

Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Encounters with leeches?

Is it very common to encounter leeches this time of year when bathing elephants or touring Cheow Lan Lake? Also,if leech encounters are fairly common are there stores in Khao Lak that sell anti-leech socks? Thanks.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Encounters with leeches?

Never encountered leeches in either Khao Lak or Khao Sok albeit they are more likely in LhaobSok especially in the Wet Season. Haven't seen any anti-leech socks in Khao Lak but can't say I have been looking for any. Might be better to bring your own.

Phillip Island...
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
73 reviews
2. Re: Encounters with leeches?

Yes, there are leeches in KL, but not sure if they are more prominent at any particular time. We went to a waterfall and both myself and my husband had 2-3 leeches on our legs/ankles.....eeeeewwwww.....I was horrified. Our driver

'flicked" them off with his long nails.

No harm done, but it does bleed for quite a while and you don't even know they are on you!

Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Encounters with leeches?

Ive come across quite a few leeches in Khao Sok during the rainy season but not on the main paths

Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Encounters with leeches?

Thanks for responding. I'm not overly concerned by the prospect of leeches themselves, but we plan to do a lot of water activities while there and want to avoid wounds that could get infected or that bleed and make shark bait out of us when we go snorkeling. Are these things known to be a problem or am I just over-thinking our vacation?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
5. Re: Encounters with leeches?

I wouldn't say they are a "problem" at either destination and depends what water activities you are planning and where.

khao lak
Level Contributor
273 posts
1 review
6. Re: Encounters with leeches?

google is your friend. goborneotravel.com/removing-leeches-properly/

Edited: 20 March 2015, 10:49
Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Encounters with leeches?

Yes.... Google and Tripadvisor have definitely been my best friends for the past couple months. Hadn't seen that article though. Thanks for posting.

greece
Level Contributor
394 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: Encounters with leeches?

No leaches in cheow Lan lake in dry season said our guide, we were there 10days ago.Wonderful place don't miss it and don't hesitate to swim in the lake,it was great experience

9. Re: Encounters with leeches?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2016, 09:45
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak