We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Lak Yama location questions

Australia
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Khao Lak Yama location questions

I am struggling to find anywhere we can stay in Jan 2016. Everything is either booked already or many times over our budget. Khao Lak Yama has come up as an option but from what I can see it is a fair distance from the beach. As a family with kids can anyone advise on the location of Yama in terms of shops/restaurants walking distance from it and whether you'd need to hire a car for ease of movement.

Additionally, which would be the closest beach to the Yama by road. I have looked at google maps but can't work out what the beaches are all called.

Thanks

Edited: 16 March 2015, 12:40
Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
The Yama Hotel Phuket
The Yama Hotel Phuket
845 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Khao Lak Yama location questions

The Yama is located about 1.5 km inland up a rough track just north of Bang Niang near the Bang Niang Day Market/Khuk Khak Bus Station. The nearest beach is Khuk Khak Beach which is probably 4-5 km by road with no short cut for walking. There are some restaurants near the Market area (not to be confused with the 3 afternoons a week main tourist market in Bang Niang, 10 minutes down the road by taxi. I would advise car hire.

Have you tried the Cousin Resort in Bang Niang at http://www.cousinresort.com

I am staying here at the moment and have just checked with the owners who confirm they have limited availability in January 2016 for direct bookings. They have closed off agency bookings, hence them being shown as full.

Mentioned in this post
The Yama Hotel Phuket
The Yama Hotel Phuket
845 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Khuk Khak
Khuk Khak
Khao Lak, Thailand
Cousin Resort
Cousin Resort
82 Reviews
Khuk Khak, Thailand
Australia
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Khao Lak Yama location questions

Thank you! I haven't tried there. But will email them.

Yama really doesn't sound the best location with kids.

Coconut Home is one of the only other ones I can find that suit a family of 4, and its location isn't great either.

Thank you so much for your time.

Mentioned in this post
The Yama Hotel Phuket
The Yama Hotel Phuket
845 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Khao Lak Yama location questions

Coconut Homes is a great location for the best beach in Khao Lak but the bungalows are really small and you are further away from the main towns for restaurants, bars and shops.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Australia
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Khao Lak Yama location questions

OK that's good to know. Thanks.

I think I might have to give up on Khao Lak unless Cousin works out.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Khao Lak Yama location questions

There is plenty of accommodation available if all kinds. What dates and what is your budget?

Here's a list of most of the accommodation throighout Khao Lak www.seadragondivecenter.com/accommodation.htm

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Australia
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Khao Lak Yama location questions

Dates are a bit fluid but say Jan 6 for a week, with connecting rooms or two bedroom villa, pool.

That website is great , thank you for that.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Khao Lak Yama location questions

Two bed villas with pool or shared pool are mostly in the 5* resorts at top end prices. There are family rooms at the 5* Pullman Resort, 4* Centara Sea View Resort, 4* Orchid Beach Resort, 4* Laguna Resort, 3* Nang Thong Bay Resort.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket Orchid Resort & Spa
Phuket Orchid Resort...
755 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Nang Thong Bay Resort
Nang Thong Bay Resort
306 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Australia
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Khao Lak Yama location questions

That's what I thought. Sadly they seem to be either severely out of budget range or booked out. Connecting rooms are also limited, and the hotels rarely guarantee them. It's very difficult when you don't want your kids in a separate room that may not even be next door to your own.

Thanks!

9. Re: Khao Lak Yama location questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2016, 10:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations