We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Depressing....

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,878 posts
146 reviews
How Depressing....

phuketwan.com/tourism/…

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,261 posts
69 reviews
1. Re: How Depressing....

I'm surprised there are any reefs left as this has been going on for a very long time. We are returning to Perhentian Islands this year, our last visit was in 2000 and the coral and sea life was stunning, but there were tourists walking over the coral then so I'm interested to see what has survived.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
2. Re: How Depressing....

Combine greed with ignorance and this is the result! Koh Tachai was supposed to have no more than 6 boats a day. Some days now there are upwards of 30 with tourists standing on the in shore reef.

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,878 posts
146 reviews
3. Re: How Depressing....

im staggered that greed, stupidity and almighty baht has been yet again triumphed

well not really surprised.

and nothing is done to stop it..

well that's $ 80 X 2 that I've just saved

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,915 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: How Depressing....

Hi

Maybe some good news from todays Bangkok Post

bangkokpost.com/news/general/497041/islands-…

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,878 posts
146 reviews
5. Re: How Depressing....

Well the article starts off just fine, then deteriorates rather rapidly into the well trotted out,

"its all too hard "

so guess what........

didn't know there were bars on tachai.

hmmm article, credibility ??

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
6. Re: How Depressing....

I didn't know there were bars on Tachai either. Places where lunch included in the tour were served but bars???? Also "There is a waste water treatment plant on the island, about one kilometre from the coastline." I didn't think Tachai was 1km wide!!!

As for limiting visitors to 200 (5-6 boats) a day to Tachai and 250 (7 boats) to Similans that will put many operators out of business and reduce NP fees drastically. Good luck with that in the land where money talks!

AFAIK the other islands mentioned that tour operators are asked to spread their visitors around are part of the Similan Islands group that are already visited as part of a Similan Islands tour!

Not impressed I'm afraid.

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,878 posts
146 reviews
7. Re: How Depressing....

If anyone had the guts to actually close the islands completely for a mandated period, there might be the slightest chance albeit remote, that they may somewhat recover.

but mankind has a one way ticket to destroying any habitat land or sea, that stands in the way of greed , and or money .

It is so sad...

8. Re: How Depressing....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2016, 09:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak