We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chong Fah vs Moracea..Help!

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Chong Fah vs Moracea..Help!

well i have finally narrowed it down to these two lovely looking resorts, that as quoted are about $100 difference for 5 nights, in end on JUne ( low season)

we have been to thailand 10 times before, always staying in Karon where we will again spend the majority of our time. however we are sneaking up to Khao Lak for five nights this year and really looking forward to it. from what im reading , it might be bye bye Karon after this!

we are a couple with a 10 y old, want a beachfront bungalow ( more for sound, ambience, sunset etc), but love pools too. we also love trying little local eateries and shops etc.

soooooooooooooo, which is it?! the Moracea beachfront bungalow or the Chong Fah beachfront bungalow!! thanks for any tips to help sway one way or the other! :-)

Mentioned in this post
Karon
Karon
Phuket, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Moracea by Khao Lak Resort
Moracea by Khao Lak...
1,484 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
The Sarojin
The Sarojin
#1 of 70 hotels in Khao Lak
X2 Khao Lak Anda Mani Resort
X2 Khao Lak Anda Mani Resort
#2 of 70 hotels in Khao Lak
Khaolak Paradise Resort
Khaolak Paradise Resort
#5 of 70 hotels in Khao Lak
Bangkok, Thailand...
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chong Fah vs Moracea..Help!

10 visits to Karon heck. Id go cheaper option.

Mentioned in this post
Karon
Karon
Phuket, Thailand
melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chong Fah vs Moracea..Help!

As nice as chong fah is

I think your 10 year old will love the moracea. I would....

much more of an adventure there..

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,405 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chong Fah vs Moracea..Help!

The 3*Chong Fah is a lovely, small boutique resort direct beachfront overlloking Bang Niang Beach but with no direct beach frontages? It is set up on a retaining wall as the tide comes right up to it.There is a small pool but it is not really a family resort. It is ideally placed for nearby local restaurants, small shops and Bang Niang Market and has a decent restaurant of its own. It is our favourite spot for sunset cocktails, especially as they are 2 for 1 between 5.30 pm and 6.30 pm.

The 4* Moracea, Formerly the Khao Lak Resort, has recently reopened after the addition of a new wing and refurbishment of the rest. It is direct beachfront on the lovely Sunset Beach with access up the jail side to the highway which is right at the beginning of Bang La On, the main township of Khao Lak with dozens of restaurants, bars and shops. It has a series of pools running alongside the beach behind the beachfront properties and a lovely beachfront restaurant with ocean view dining. Much bigger and more facilities than the Chong Fah for a family IMO.

Mentioned in this post
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Bang Niang Market
Bang Niang Market
960 Reviews
Takua Pa, Thailand
Moracea by Khao Lak...
1,484 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Sunset Beach Resort
Sunset Beach Resort
1,141 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chong Fah vs Moracea..Help!

Great thanks so much, Moracea it is! I'm a bit curiuos however!.... What do u mean by the " jail" side?!!!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,405 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chong Fah vs Moracea..Help!

Oops. No spell checker! It should be hillside!:-)

You can see pics of Sunset Beach and in particular some of the Moracea just before the new part opened in early February https:/…

Mentioned in this post
Sunset Beach Resort
Sunset Beach Resort
1,141 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Moracea by Khao Lak...
1,484 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chong Fah vs Moracea..Help!

Thanks so much, I checked out the photos! looking good, getting excited about staying somewhere new. :-)

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
74 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chong Fah vs Moracea..Help!

I have stayed both Khao Lak Resort (Moracea) in 2008 and Chong Fah i 2014. Two weeks both places. I know a lot of changes can happen, but the overall quality at Chong Fah is way better that Khao Lak Resort, on everything from breakfast, meals, cleanness and rooms. I visited Khao Lak Resort both in 2013 & 2014 to see how it looks.

Khao Lak resort has the advantage of direct beach access. Where Chong Fah has stairs down to the beach, and by high tides when beach has disappeared. Chong Fah has infinity pool, which gives a great view on the ocean from the pool, while the view of the pool at Khao Lak resort is just to the different cottages. I feel the Beach Front gives much more privacy at Chong Fah compared to Moracea.

Chong Fah is situated in Biang Niang, which in my opinion is much more charming that Bang La On. Walking for dinner to Bang La On is not a long walk, but it´s a bit uphill and downhill both ways.

I am sure you will have a good vacation both places.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Moracea by Khao Lak...
1,484 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
8. Re: Chong Fah vs Moracea..Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2016, 09:45
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak