We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

khao sok lake

Nottingham, United...
5 posts
khao sok lake

Hi we are staying in khao lak for 2 weeks in April and wandered if any one had any advice about who to book trips with. We really want to visit the khao sok lak and jungle but need to do this on a budget as can't afford expensive trips. Also will only do trips that dont involve riding on elephants as the only elephant I would love to see would be in the wild, where they should be.

Thank you Julie

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: khao sok lake

Most tour shops offer tours to Khao Sok and Cheow Lan Lake with or without elephant treks and/or just to the Lake which is an hour further east than Khao Sok Village where the entry to the Park is and from where you can trek in the rainforest and a canoe ride on the river. However, either of these are one day tours in their own right.

Contact Lora of Dior Travel in Bang Niang. She is a qualified and experienced guide and will either organise a pre-set tour or a guided one. Contact is diorkhaolak@yahoo.co.th

Also Boss of Cheaper than Hotel Taxis in Khao Lak does a tour to the Lake. Contact cheaper_khaolak@ymail.com

Nottingham, United...
5 posts
2. Re: khao sok lake

Thankyou Arandora, this has been very helpful and will contact them both.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
3. Re: khao sok lake

Isn't there a bus that runs regularly between Phuket Town and Surat Thani, passing through Khao Lak, that stops right outside the main entrance of Khao Sok?

That's what I'm hoping for. I'll be picking a brain or two, during our first week in Khao Lak, about the accommodation options to suit our budget.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
4. Re: khao sok lake

Yes. It goes via Takua Pa and best pick up place in Khao Lak is next to Nang Thong Supermarket. It drops you off at the top of the road leading down through Khao Sok to the entrance to the National Park. This is where most accommodation is located. There is plenty of information on the Khao Sok Forum which hopefully combined with using the search will answer most of your questions.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
5. Re: khao sok lake

Thanks.

We're staying at Walkers Inn for our first week. No doubt there'll be plenty of invaluable local information 'on tap' while we're there.

Nottingham, United...
5 posts
6. Re: khao sok lake

That's even better to get a bus and make our own way there and back. Would it also be possible to make our own way from khao lak to cheow Lan Lake and book a floating hut before we go.

Thankyou

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
7. Re: khao sok lake

Yes you can to both but don't forget although cheaper a bus will take much longer, you will need to get to and from the bus stop on the highway to your accommodation in Khao Sok Vilkage if you are overnighting there, then minibus from where the bus drops you about an hour further east on the highway to and from the pier where you catch a longtail boat to your raft house site. Also bear in mind that the standard of raft house sites is very variable and cheap could turn out to be nasty if you are not careful.

Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
286 posts
30 reviews
8. Re: khao sok lake

IMHO, the best way to enjoy this marvelous area would be to hire a car & definitely arrange a stay overnight or even better several nights.

Dawn is an absolutely inspirational experience so make the most of your visit to this magnificent lake & surroundings.

A cabin on the lake platforms is a great way to enjoy an overnight stay.

If on a budget catching the local buses would be a timely project.

Wish I was back there !!

Rob

Nottingham, United...
5 posts
9. Re: khao sok lake

Thankyou all, has been helpful you are right the bus would be long and time consuming. I will book this with a tour when I get there. After all probably will save money as can't find many other tours that dont involve riding on a poor elephants back. 5 weeks to go can't wait.

Thanks

Nottingham, United...
5 posts
10. Re: khao sok lake

Thankyou for the advice about raft house as well never thought about that

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak