We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scottish Bank Notes

Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
164 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Scottish Bank Notes

Just thought I would pass on some experience from our trip. We found it difficult to change Scottish Sterling at change kiosks- if you have any kind of sterling they just really want Bank of England notes. However changing them at banks were no problem at all but you have to plan doing the currency exchange during the day (bank opening times) rather than out and about at night.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scottish Bank Notes

This is why you had a problem with kiosks, and even at a bank you probably got an inferior ROE than you would have got with Bank of England notes...

www.scotbanks.org.uk/legal_position.php

Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
164 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scottish Bank Notes

An issue that I'm sure will be made clearer should Scotland gets its own currency!

Scottish Bank notes are still legal currency it's the issues around the definition of tender that is unusual and unhelpful in most cases. It's still perfectly legal to accept them and they are backed by Bank of England so technically there should be no problem (or risk) for anybody to accept them. Personally, I think this tends to happen where places are not used to seeing a lot of Scottish notes (and there are quite a few different types).

To be clear anywhere I did exchange them I got exactly the same rate as the advertised sterling rate which is about right as that is what they are!

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scottish Bank Notes

Do a 'search' on the main Thailand Forum for 'Scottish Bank'. The results will all basically say the same thing.

Mentioned in this post
Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
164 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scottish Bank Notes

I'm only only saying what my experience was!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,405 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scottish Bank Notes

BBM

Thanks for the information.

6. Re: Scottish Bank Notes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 March 2016, 11:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations