We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

khao lak in a wheelchair

Basingstoke
Level Contributor
214 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
khao lak in a wheelchair

Hi I was wondering if any one could please advise me what it would be like here for a full time wheelchair user.

We would require a accessible hotel with a roll in shower room and grab rails on the toilet. Also the swimming pool would have to have shallow steps in with a hand rail, Roman style I be live, not the climbing in and out sort.

I have looked at baan khaolak resort, which looks wonderful for a wheelchair user but I'm a little apprehensive about the lack of reviews where on tripadviser

We are looking for peace,tranquillity and a hotel to accommodate our needs.

Also are there enough bars and restaurants within reasonable wheeling/walking distance where we could gain access, sip a could one, enjoy lovely Thai food and watch the world go by. As I would hate to be out on a Kim, miles from anything.

Any help would be very much appreciated

Lesley

Europe
Level Contributor
968 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: khao lak in a wheelchair

I'm sure I read somewhere that the Baan Khaolak Resort had rooms specifically for wheelchair users.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: khao lak in a wheelchair

Hi Lesley

I don't know whether the BKL is particularly wheelchair friendly but it is a flat, mainly bungalow resort locate direct beachfront at the southern end of Nang Thong Beach. The main entrance is a short distance up on the access road to beginning of Bang La On, the main township of Khao Lak with dozens of restaurants, bars and shops accessed along a proper sidewalk alongside the highway in both directions. You need to take care crossing the highway which is six lanes with a dual carriageway starting just past the BKL to the centre of town. It is very popular with German visitors who tend to put reviews on German review sites.

Basingstoke
Level Contributor
214 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: khao lak in a wheelchair

Hi guys

Many thanks for your advice. The baan khaolak resort does seem geard up for the wheelchair user with 10 accessible rooms, beach wheelchair and scooter for hire, and it does seem ideal.

Arandora I'm a little worrid about the dual carriage way now. Are there restaurant's on our side so we wouldn't have to cross and also are there many along the beach which we could wheel to, where it would be a bit more quieter. Is the road like a motorway or quiet.

We were in phuket last year and many a time I had to take my life in my hands to stop the traffic to get my hubby across the road and I don't want a repeat of this. But I guess that's Thailand.

I would really appreciate anymore advice about wether anyone thinks we will cope.

Again many Thanks

Lesley

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: khao lak in a wheelchair

Lesley

There are restaurants on both sides of the highway all through Bang La On. The Nang Supermarket is roughly half way and the end of the dual carriageway and there are traffic lights at that point where you can cross safely. Beyond that point the highway narrows to 4 lanes with no pavement either side.

There are no independent beach restaurants near the BKL but it has its own very good restaurant overlooking the beach and you can use the restaurants of the adjacent resorts.

Basingstoke
Level Contributor
214 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: khao lak in a wheelchair

Many thanks again arandora, guess I better stop panicking and get on and book it, or I'm never gonna know what it's like there.

Lesley

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: khao lak in a wheelchair

A chap we met here in Cousin pushed his wife about all over Khao Lak in a wheel chair including down to various beaches - wit several beer stops in between! :-)

Basingstoke
Level Contributor
214 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: khao lak in a wheelchair

Lol it is hard work pushing so you have to keep the fluids up with them temperatures :-).

Ive booked now but it's not till November, so ages to wait.

8. Re: khao lak in a wheelchair

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2016, 11:48
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak