We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight Trip - Elephant Bathing - KL in a day

Brisbane
Level Contributor
95 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight Trip - Elephant Bathing - KL in a day

Hi Everyone,

We are booked in at the Hol Inn Patong for 16 nights on a stay pay deal 01 July. Therefore not wanting to split our stay we are going up to Khao Lak for one night (not checking out of room) to have a look around for a future longer visit and do the Elephant Bathing tours

I would like to do something like the Khaolak Vista Tours "Khao Lak in a day" maybe with them privately picked up from Patong - do the tours/elephants etc and then dropped off at Ramada Khao Lak for one night

Go home the next day via white sands or another beach type restaurant - have lunch and then back to Patong

The Khaolak Vista ' KL in a Day" is costing over $300AUD for a family of 4 and then if it is a private tour more again

My question is - is it worth that - or would I be best off hiring a driver for the day? I really want an informative tour guide - not just a driver

We have done the hiring of tuk tuks and drivers around Phuket before but would like a great guide to make it a "better" more informative experience

Also is the Elephant Bathing in a flowing river or just a man made 'lake' ? And is it safe in the water with children aged 8 and 11 yrs?

If I do a private tour what is worth doing - elephants, bamboo rafting, turtles (bit scared of monkeys jumping on the kids so not sure about temples)?

Lastly I could just book the Ramada and this tour when we arrive as it is low season? Doing the tour 2nd week of July

Sorry lots of questions .....

Thank you

Nicky

Mentioned in this post
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Ramada Khao Lak Resort
Ramada Khao Lak Resort
2,151 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,447 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight Trip - Elephant Bathing - KL in a day

You could contact Boss of Cheaper than Hotel Taxis in Khao Lak to ask for a quote for both transfers from and to Patong and for his version of "a day in Khao Lak" tailored to your requirements then compare cost to the Khao Lak Vista your and prices. There are several elephant camps in and around Khao Lak so be sure to say what kind you want.

"If I do a private tour what is worth doing - elephants, bamboo rafting, turtles (bit scared of monkeys jumping on the kids so not sure about temples)?" - you could do all of those in one day but there are no temples with monkeys in Khao Lak that have monkeys in them. Just before you reach Khao Lak you could visit the Royal Marine Turtle Sanctuary on the Navy Base at Tab Lamu. There is a lovely temple (without monkeys on the loose there) across the highway and just down from there into the beautiful countryside is the river rafting and an ATV site. A short distance further before you go over the mountain into the main areas of Khao Lak there is the Asia Elephant Safari Park where the trek takes you in and out of streams or just before that the Preecha Elephant Camp where, subject to weather and ocean conditions, the elephants take you down to the beach and into the sea. Then you could be taken to White Sand Beach for lunch and if you haven't been on an elephant trek could you could go further north to the Sairung Elephant camp where the trek is on the flat through a rubber plantation to a waterfall and back. Then return to the Ramada.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Cheaper than Hotel Taxis
Cheaper than Hotel Taxis
1,026 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
White Sand Beach
White Sand Beach
2,181 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Brisbane
Level Contributor
95 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight Trip - Elephant Bathing - KL in a day

Thank you Arandora for the in depth response.

We were going to have 3/4 nights in KL but the low season stay/pay deal was too good to break up. So we will have a small look around and then return to the Ramada for a longer stay.

I did see monkeys in some of the photos & thought they were outside the temples. .just assumed really.

I will contact them both

still undecided about which elephant park to go to as we have been to Kok Chang and wanted really to just feed and " wash them down" not really ride. More for my daughter as she loved seeing them last time.

Especially when it stopped to do a 'wee' and our manhout said ' Niagara'..still talks about it

Thanks for your response

I'll look into your suggestions

Nicky

3. Re: Overnight Trip - Elephant Bathing - KL in a day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 January 2015, 08:05
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,447 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight Trip - Elephant Bathing - KL in a day

Hi

Re the monkeys you might have been referring to our pics of the various trips in and around Khao Lak at tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k… There are monkeys outside the famous Wat Suwan Kuha (or Monkey Temple) which is near Phang Nga Bay and often combined in a tour out into the Bay or the temple near the entrance to Khao Sok Village which again is often part of a tour up there. Neither though are obligatory and can be avoided.

As for the ellie treks, all the ones in and around Khao Lak involve a ride but at Sairung you can walk with the elephant and wash and feed it on return or at the Elephant Hills Cap agin in Khao Sok, the elephants are just cared for and you can get involved with that.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Chaithararam Temple (Wat Chalong)
Chaithararam Temple (Wat...
2,841 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Phang Nga Bay
Phang Nga Bay
1,606 Reviews
Ao Phang Nga National Park, Thailand
Khao Sok National Park
Khao Sok National Park
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Brisbane
Level Contributor
95 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight Trip - Elephant Bathing - KL in a day

Thank you

Got a price very quickly from both boss and khao lak vista

boss taxi is great price for 2 private day tours with a night at the Ramada in between.

I will go with Boss as it is a private tour which is what I am after.

Thanks

Nicky

6. Re: Overnight Trip - Elephant Bathing - KL in a day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2016, 10:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak