We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed regarding our itinerary Pls..

Jerusalem
Level Contributor
5 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Advice needed regarding our itinerary Pls..

Hi-

we are a family of 7 (3 adults, 2 teens and 2 small kids). After 4 days in Bangkok we plan to head south in the beginning of April for 14 days. We are planning : 5 days in Khoa Lak (staying in Khaolak Green Beach Resort) , 4 days in Khao Sok Park and then 5 last days in Koh Jum. The idea was to get as much variety possible in a short period of time and within a relatively small area. In general we are looking for a quiet place, pretty far from the beaten track but do need to satisfy our teens…so it's: Beach-mainland; jungle nature; and a quiet island. However (as always) I have my question marks (:

1. Are 3 nights enough in the park for nature lovers?

2. Is Koh Jum a hassle to get to from the west? If yes, is a closer island a better idea?

3. Where should we fly to from and to Bangkok? Phuket is obviously the place to land. Is it also wise considering that we plan Koh Jum as our last spot? If yes, when should we get a flight back – can we make it by the afternoon? If not – should we split the flight back and fly from Krabi or if that's not an option, change the island?

4. Last – does it make sense to rent a car for the Khoa Lak area and possibly to drive to the park?

We would appreciate any pointers,

Many thanks-

Bromley Kent
Level Contributor
844 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed regarding our itinerary Pls..

Hi

Last year we did a similar trip. We had 4 nights in Bangkok and then took a morning flight to Surat Thani and mini bus transfer to Khao Sok Village near the National Park.

We had 3 nights in a tree house resort. While we were there we went on a trek (unguided) in the National Park - straight forward enough to follow a simple trail, went swimming in the river and took a day trip (booked locally) to the Dam / Lake. This was excellent and involved longtail boat trip on the lake, lunch at a raft house (basic but Ok) - then a trek through the jungle (quite quick pace) and through a cave.

Our kids were 12,10 and 8 and we all had a fab time at Khao Sok. Could have stayed day or 2 longer just soaking up the vibe of the village and chilling by the river.

We also took a visit to an Elephant ride place - again booked locally - so can't remember where!

An hour 's minivan trip to Khao Lak for 5 nights relaxing by the pool and beach. We didn't do much here other than chill around the resort, after a busy week in Bangkok and Khao Sok - and really enjoyed it. We wanted to book a snorkelling trip to the Similans / Tachai but didn't have enough days to sort this - which is why we still may go back.

We ate daily at the beach restuarant at Green Beach Resort mosts days for lunch!

We went by minivan transfer (booked locally) to Krabi airport for the next leg of our trip back to BKK.

We had such a great time here we are planning another trip and considering visiting the same area.

Have fun!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice needed regarding our itinerary Pls..

I think Smiley Sid has covered Khao Sok and Khao Lak. Since all your activities in Khao Sok don't need you to have car, hiring one is no great advantage. Ko Jum is on the west coast about half way in between Krabi and Ko Lanta and if you follow your planned itinerary transfers would best be BKK fly to Phuket Airport -> Khao Lak by taxi (contact Boss of Cheaper than Hotel Taxis in Khao Lak on cheaperkhaolak1@gmail.com ) -> Khao Sok by taxi/tour (contact Boss again or Green Andaman Travel) -> Ko Jum by private transfer + ferry -> Krabi Airport for return flight to BKK.

Don't underestimate time taken in transfers and potential cost.

Jerusalem
Level Contributor
5 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice needed regarding our itinerary Pls..

thanks Smiley Sid- your trip description made it sound so fun and i wasn't actually there...maybe we will extend out trip in kho sok by a day after all.

Arandora - thanks for the hands-on intel. considering that we would need to fly in and out of different airports, which I agree will probably cost more, do you think that we should go, say. to kao yao rather than koh jum, still get the island groove but fly round trip to phuket?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice needed regarding our itinerary Pls..

It is not necessarily more expensive to fly into Phuket and out of Krabi as Low Cost Carriers's like AirAsia return fares are based on two one way flights. Just price them up to compare "return" prices. Sirry, I can't comment on Koh Yao or Koh Jum as I've been to neither other than Koh Yao is probably easier to access from and to Phuket than Koh Jum is from Krabi. Members on those forums would advise better.

Jerusalem
Level Contributor
5 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice needed regarding our itinerary Pls..

thanks, again! will get back to my homework.

6. Re: Advice needed regarding our itinerary Pls..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2016, 10:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations