We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drink Driving?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
360 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Drink Driving?

This will be our fourth visit to Thailand this year and I now feel confident enough to hire a car this time.

Question is, what is the drink driving situation?

I don't mean can I get away with being drunk of course, but is it ok to have a small bottle of Chang with my lunch, as in the UK, or is even that, dancing with the devil?

Thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,267 posts
538 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drink Driving?

The following is taken from thephuketnews.com:

"Patong Police Traffic Chief, Ekkarat Plaidoung answers: In Thailand, the standard Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) limit is set at 0.05 per cent, which means you are legal if there is no more than 50 mg/dl of blood, which can be tested through both blood or breathalizer test. In normal circumstances, 50 mg/dl means about two glasses of beer, so in general, you should try not to go above this."

Be careful ... Chang is rated at 6.4% :-)

Europe
Level Contributor
357 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Drink Driving?

The Chang Classic is in did stronger in Thailand but the Chang Export, Change Drought and Singah are normal about 5%, so maximum a pint during long lunch break would be fine but that’s it.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drink Driving?

Also be aware that a Chang Yai (large Chang) is larger, cheaper and stronger than a Singha Yai. Singha resized their large bottles last year to 500ml from 600ml without reducing price whereas Chang is 630ml and large Tiger and Leo 600ml.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,831 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drink Driving?

Hi

when you are driving in thailand any wreck, altercation will automaticly be your fault even if you are not at fault. if you have any alcohol on breath or in blood your problem will be greatly compounded. Make sure your insurance covers you driving and drinking IMO

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drink Driving?

That is not my experience here in Khao Lak. I was taken off the road by a drunken Thai driver with a truckload of drunken Thais who came out if nowhere straight across 4 lanes into us. Our local Budget rep was on the scene within 5 minutes as were the cops who as soon as they had marked the position of the vehicles on the road with chalk and found out both cars and drivers were insured and having inspected my DL and papers via the rep. departed from the scene with no action taken against anyone. They never spoke to me directly at all. Lesson for me, apart from not drinking excessively, was have full insurance with your hired vehicle, hire from a reputable company with a local office/rep, have plenty of witnesses!

6. Re: Drink Driving?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2016, 12:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations