We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long boat hire for snorkelling - is it worth it?

London, United...
Level Contributor
158 posts
22 reviews
Long boat hire for snorkelling - is it worth it?

Hello all

I was wondering if we should rent a longboat for the day to snorkel and fish. They take you to some nearby islands and it sounds great! However, will we be able to see very much? We have been quoted 3000bht for the whole day and just the 2 of us. Is it worth the expense?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Long boat hire for snorkelling - is it worth it?

There are not many decent snorkel sites offshore by longtail boat from Khao Lak. You need to go by speedboat to the Similans, Surins or Koh Tachai if that is what you really want to do. The snorkel site that is included is probably a small island near Tab Lamu, the exit port for the Similans and Koh Tachai. It is in the process of regeneration after the 2004 Tsunami but when we last visited, although clear water, the marine life was still bing established and quite sparse. The fishing part is at different spots according to the fisherman's knowledge of likely catches.It will be a nice local trip and very different from the mass visits going to the Similans and Tachai (Surins are further away but less crowded and better snorkelling). 3000 baht is typical price for 2 for that trip but you might get it cheaper at one of the local beach restaurant/bars. Where are you staying?

London, United...
Level Contributor
158 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: Long boat hire for snorkelling - is it worth it?

Thank you Aranadora, we are at the moracea hotel. It sounds very nice, we don't like crowds and would also like to help conserve the beauty of places and not add to the destruction of lovely islands via mass tourism! We heard that the similian island reefs are bring spoilt by people touching and hacking off coral. I don't know if it's true though.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: Long boat hire for snorkelling - is it worth it?

The corals at both the Similans and Surins was affected by bleaching a few years ago due to higher sea temperature in the Wet Season and some sites were closed to allow for recovery time. Ontjink hacking has been exaggerated. However the Surins have less numbers visiting and so better recovery time, I think a visit to the Surins costing upwards of 2400 baht each will be more rewarding than a local longtail trip.

London, United...
Level Contributor
158 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: Long boat hire for snorkelling - is it worth it?

Thanks, I think we will do the surin Islands as well now. The lady told us she cld do a long tail for a day and a surin trip for 3000 each. I will double check as it seems a good deal and when I go to pay later, if it's still the same price I will recommend the little travel co I found on the beach. Thanks again you are a great help!

Perth
Level Contributor
586 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: Long boat hire for snorkelling - is it worth it?

G'day mollopUk

I would be interested to know if you confirm the price you have been quoted for the long tail boat and trip to the Surin islands.

If I have done my maths right, that's 1500 baht each for the Surin islands.

Understand there could be some cross/bulk discounting, but it will give us a good idea on how much to bater the price too.

Thanks, tanmar

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
6. Re: Long boat hire for snorkelling - is it worth it?

Agree with Tanmar, that is an exceptional price for those two full day trips. Could you letb us know who the ooperator for the Surins trip is please?

Tanmar

" it will give us a good idea on how much to bater" - who are you going to swap for the trip, Mark or Tanya? Think you mean haggle! ;-)

Perth
Level Contributor
586 posts
15 reviews
7. Re: Long boat hire for snorkelling - is it worth it?

Thanks Arandora, it's all same same, but different.

Just over 2 weeks and we will be able to catch up with you :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
158 posts
22 reviews
8. Re: Long boat hire for snorkelling - is it worth it?

Hello all

As suspected it's not 3000 each! We paid 2500 to surin, I went back to ask about the deal for the tailboat and we got it for 1300 each. I think we could have pushed further but we decided not to do it. The place is on nang tong beach next to the green umbrellas. I asked for her number and card but no luck! Hope it helps!

Surin was absolutely stunning! The boat trip was pretty bumpy but the crew were fantastic, professional and very kind. I wouldn't recommend this trip to elderly folk or those that suffer with sea sickness! I have to say I was disgusted by people who have no respect for the coral. Everyone of course was made aware not to touch anything. People were using their flippers to stand on the corals to take pictures. Also they do not realise that when treading water they are bashing the coral to pieces. Personally I think they should ban flippers, they are totally unnecessary, or have marshals in the water with tourists, issuing heavy fines. Sorry rant over, but I have seen this all over the world and to spoil surin as well saddens me greatly.

Off to dins at Mr Ju it is excellent and very friendly!

Perth
Level Contributor
586 posts
15 reviews
9. Re: Long boat hire for snorkelling - is it worth it?

Thanks for the feed back on the prices.

This will give us a good idea of what to expect.

Agree totally about the damage to the coral. Can't understand how people don't realise or possible care about the damage they cause.

Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
10. Re: Long boat hire for snorkelling - is it worth it?

Where is Mr. Ju's Restaurant? Currently standing at #8 in TA Listings with one reviewer saying best in Khao Lak. Must admit to admiring anyone who had visited all of approaching the 200 restaurants in Khao Lak. Same with those on some reviews who say such and such is best restaurant in Thailand. ;-)

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak