We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Lak-Lam Ru National Park Hiking

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Khao Lak-Lam Ru National Park Hiking

My wife and I have a day set aside for hiking and exploring. Looking at the map I figured we were in luck from our starting location of Nang Thong Bay Resort, as it appears to be right smack at the edge of Khao Lak-Lam Ru National Park. But I am having a heck of a time trying to figure out where we can actually hike through.

From what I can tell, there is a pretty tame oceanside trail at the park HQ, 3 KM in length. The starting point would be a quick cab ride from our hotel, we are looking more for an all day kind of thing. Are there other trails going out from the park HQ? Going up into the hills?

There is also the rest of the giant park, but maps and info are pretty sparse or lacking detail. I don't really want to hire a guide and I also hadn't planned on renting a car. Waterfalls would be good, and I am sure I could ask a cab driver to take us to one, but I don't just want to get dropped of someplace with a pool and a restaurant, looking to hike.

I've found these websites: http://www.khaolak.net/np/khaolak-lamru.html

dnp.go.th/parkreserve/asp/style1/default.asp

But the maps and info are pretty minimal.

Alternately I know we could go out to Khao Sok, but reading reviews it looks like you are required to hire a guide. Wouldn't be the end of the world, but ideally I'd rather just walk out my door (or take an easy cab ride) and hike for 5-8 KM, see some cool stuff and head back. Any advice?

Perth
Level Contributor
583 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Khao Lak-Lam Ru National Park Hiking

Others may have additional information.

We have found the hiking/walks in the national park limited as you describe. Most of the waterfalls/beach hikes are as you describe.

Chong fah waterfall isn't bad, but again it is only a 2km walk to the waterfall from where you would get dropped off by a taxi.

Perhaps you cold consider hiring a bike and cycling to the locations before you hike to the water falls etc.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Khao Lak-Lam Ru National Park Hiking

Khao Lak Lam Ru National Park essentially covers most of the area now known as Khao Lak and as Tanmar in the previous post says is fairly limited for hiking/trekking. From NTBR1 you walk south along the beach across on to Sunset Beach and up the steep steps at its end to the highway, turn right and the HQ of the NP and Visitor Centre is a few hundred metres to the right at the summit of the highway. You can walk as opposed to hike down to Small Sandy Beach and there is a small wild orchid trail but it is not really a trekking site or area.

Contrary to what you may have read you do not need a guide to trek in the rain forest at Khao Sok only if you want to go off the defined trails which without a guide would be dangerous. You can obtain maps from the Visitor Centre just inside the entrance to the NP at Khao Sok Village (go by taxi or public bus) which shows two trails. The less arduous one takes you up seven levels of waterfalls on a defined track up to about the 4th level. It is not a round trip so you can turn back and follow the same route back at any time. It was a round trip of about 3 hours for us up to level 4 and back. Good trekking sandals or shoes are advisable and plenty of water and insect repellent. The other trek takes you on less defined tracks and into and through steams up to the summit where the giant rafflesia flower (the world's largest flower) blooms throughout the year but for very short periods so may not be in bloom when you reach the site. They will advise you at the Visitor Centre if it is currently in bloom. That is more or less a full day trek.

Hope this helps.

3. Re: Khao Lak-Lam Ru National Park Hiking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2016, 10:48
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak