We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Khao Lak

yorkshire
Level Contributor
160 posts
10 reviews
One day in Khao Lak

We are a family of 4 (kids 11 & 8) who will be staying in Karon. We want to visit the Tsunami memorial in Khao Lak to pay our respects & help the children understand the value of life. We are planning a day trip to Khao Lak with private driver. Could you recommend other activities? I believe there is a waterfall not too far away (?Lampi) should we schedule this in too? Many thanks for any help x

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: One day in Khao Lak

The Tsunami Memorial in Khao Lak is in Bang Niang and is the Police Boat 813 which was washed ashore to its current resting place by the Wave. There is some interpretation information there but the main Memorial Site is in the village of Ban Nam Khem which is a further 20 km north. You could visit both. Lampi waterfall is about 30km south of Khao Lak half way between Phuket and Khao Lak and is part of the National Park so subject to an entrance fee.

You could call at one of two sanctuaries, the Marine Conservation Unit down the beach road at Bang Muang about 30 km from leaving Phuket where there are turtles, fish from small Nemos to large groupers and beautiful sea anemones in tanks. Or about 15 minutes before Khao Lak you could call at the Royal Marine Turtle Conservation Unit on the Royal Navy Base at Tab Lamu where baby turtles are brought after hatching on the Similan Islands to grow and be cared for until they are about a year old and then returned to the Similans to be released thereby increasing their survival rate from about 15 to 85%.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
160 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: One day in Khao Lak

Thank you Arandora, that's really helpful

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
186 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: One day in Khao Lak

My kids (8 & 10) really liked the bamboo rafting. We had to go back and do it once more...

yorkshire
Level Contributor
160 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: One day in Khao Lak

Thanks Nilla, that sounds great, will look into it x

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
5. Re: One day in Khao Lak

There are several bamboo rafting tours at various parts of the river near Tab Lamu, Komol's Corner being the longest established. See https:/…

There is also one that offers an ATV trek. Book locally.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
186 posts
17 reviews
6. Re: One day in Khao Lak

My friend went about a week ago on our recommendation - they enjoyed as well, especially as they saw a python.

I'm sure my kids would have loved that (but secretly I'm really happy that we didn't...)

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
113 posts
29 reviews
7. Re: One day in Khao Lak

We're coming back to Khao Lak and wanted to do another elephant trek plus bamboo rafting (as we've never done that before) we had been looking at a day tour via eco khao lak but would prefer to do our own thing if we could, I hadn't noticed that there was a bamboo raft place at Komol's corner as we could walk there from the Merlin - any idea on how much the rafting costs ?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
8. Re: One day in Khao Lak

Komol's Corner near the Merlin is his restaurant and massage place where you can make bookings for rafting at Komol's Corner rafting site which is part way up the river several miles inland from Tab Lamu and certainly not within walking distance. About 20 minutes by taxi which would probably be arranged for you if you book in advance. Compare the costs when you arrive. Taxi plus paying for raft will probably work out cheaper than a tour with an agency like Eco Khao Lak.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
113 posts
29 reviews
9. Re: One day in Khao Lak

brilliant, thanks for the reply

10. Re: One day in Khao Lak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2016, 10:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak