We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time of the year to visit Khao Lak?

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Best time of the year to visit Khao Lak?

Was planning a trip this November however I'm a bit un-easy with that month as its so close to the end of the rainy season.

What can you usally expect mid-Novemeber weather wise?

From was I can find the average rainfall is still kinda high compared to other months like jan, feb, etc :(

Nakhon Si Thammarat...
Level Contributor
936 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time of the year to visit Khao Lak?

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g297914-c120554/Kha…

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time of the year to visit Khao Lak?

The Wet Season is from May to October but does not suddenly switch over from 1st November so there is residual rain and cloud "usually" in November which this year has been "unusually" wet. January and February are "usually" the best and driest months bit you can expect rain in any month even in the Dry Season. That's the nature of a tropical climate. Last year there was no rain at all from end of December to early April and very high temperatures, the hottest and driest period for 30 years but that was "unusual". Good weather is not guaranteed anywhere these days. Jan/Feb is certainly a better bet though.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time of the year to visit Khao Lak?

Thanks for your view might have to think of other dates haha

Beersheba, Israel
Level Contributor
236 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time of the year to visit Khao Lak?

Spent 9 nights in Khao Lak last November. It rained hard for a short time almost every day but this didn't spoil our holiday. Still spent most of the time on the beach or doing day trips.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time of the year to visit Khao Lak?

We have been late October-early November for the past 3 years, rain has never spoilt anything. We are planning the same time again this year. We have had storms where it rains for an hour or so, but then it dries up just as quickly as it came. As said above it is a tropical climate.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time of the year to visit Khao Lak?

We are also considering a trip late Oct this year but am being put off with the weather. We usually go Feb and the weather is good, although you ccan still get cloudy/ wet times.

Sadly the weather is something no one can predict but I would hate to go and it be raining most days...I'd be interested to hear other comments on this subject...

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time of the year to visit Khao Lak?

September and October are the last two months of the Wet Season and over past yaers are the two wettest months, albeit October weatherhas been preety good for past few years. However, whereas rain in February is usually spasmodic and not really expected October IMO you should expect it but a big bonus becauuse accomodation prices are so much lower if you don't get much. You should still get sun though.

Epsom, United...
Level Contributor
165 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time of the year to visit Khao Lak?

Hi there eveyone - we are looking at Khao Lak for March 2016 and very interested in Sensimar Khao Lak Beachfront Hotel - looks lovely. I love the sun and I love Thailand and I really would love to visit Khao Lak but I am kinda worried about the weather in March. I know it's impossible to predict the weather but still not sure whether Khao Lak would be a good choice as we really would be disappointed if we had loads of rain and cloud - we really look forward to our holidays, as does everyone else. Has anyone been to Khao Lak mid March and can you give us a rough estimate of the kind of weather you experienced. Sorry to be a pain but weather is very important to us. Many thanks in advance. Aries x

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time of the year to visit Khao Lak?

We stay in Khao Lak from November to April every year and have done so since the Tsunami. March is one of the hottest months of the year with a tendency as the Wet Season approaches at the beginning of May of the odd thunderstorm or two in the afternoon. On only one occasion was there torrential rain in late March in 2009 but that affected the whole of southern Thailand and was, thank goodness, far from usual. Otherwise lots of hot, sunny days.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Zhuhai, Guangdong...
Level Contributor
28 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best time of the year to visit Khao Lak?

I just got back from Khao Lak. Weather aside, you might take into consideration the crowds. Traffic was bad, and a highway runs through the town. Cars and trucks zip through town at high speeds despite the high number of tourists on the side of the road. It was difficult to cross the road on foot and also to turn around on a scooter. I wasn't expecting as many people, but the place really was crowded. I think I would rather go during low season, but I honestly don't see myself returning. It's more expensive that any other place I've visited in Thailand.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations