We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Lak or Krabi .... Maybe both?

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Khao Lak or Krabi .... Maybe both?

After much research I've narrowed it down to either Khao Lak or Krabi which I believe would suit are needs best was just wondering if anyone who's experienced both islands would have any recommendations on which one to go for?

We want an amazing beach, clear (warm) ocean, fairly luxurious hotel, close to bars/restaurants and to be able to go a number of excursions.

Was contemplating splitting are time between the two or maybe just spend a few nights on Krabi?

We are both in are 20's, not to fussed on partying in the evening but still would want some nights out but nothing to wild and are planning to spend between 14-16 days in Thailand mid November.

Any pointers/tips/advice would be massively appreciated thanks in advance.

Nakhon Si...
Level Contributor
972 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Khao Lak or Krabi .... Maybe both?

I seem to recall that Krabi is a Province consisting of mainland and island locations while Khao Lak is a collection of towns on the mainland of Phang Nga province.

Princetown, United...
Level Contributor
266 posts
46 reviews
2. Re: Khao Lak or Krabi .... Maybe both?

hi, we visited ao nang in krabi this year , the beach there is,nt good at all, we had to get a longtail boat to a good beach,booked khao lak for next feb from what i,v researched khao lak has great beaches,

having said that about krabi we are returning to the frog and catfish nong thale, 30 mins from ao nang, amazing place.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,274 posts
70 reviews
3. Re: Khao Lak or Krabi .... Maybe both?

Both Khao Lak and Krabi are not islands. Khao Lak is on the mainland north of Phuket and Krabi is a province with many different beach areas and islands.

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
211 reviews
4. Re: Khao Lak or Krabi .... Maybe both?

Khao Lak has many kilometres of stunning beaches. Ao Nang, out of all the places I've visited in Thailand is in my opinion the most picturesque for scenery but the beach is stunning to look at from your hotel balcony - not so stunning once you actually get on the sand. However you can take a long tail boat to nearby beaches. The drive between Krabi and Khao Lak is absolutely gorgeous if you do choose to do both.

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
4,195 posts
119 reviews
5. Re: Khao Lak or Krabi .... Maybe both?

We spent 6 nights in both resorts in May 2013.

Firstly we went to Ao Nang staying at the Mercure Hotel. Very nice hotel out of town centre but only 5mins by tuk tuk into main area of town.

From Ao Nang its easy to get to Phi Phi Island on a day trip and also spend time at Railay Beach which is stunning.

From Krabi we went by krabishuttle.com to Khao Lak for 6 nights staying at the Bhandari Hotel across from the beach in Bang La On and again loved the hotel which is a typical Thai style. From here its great for trips to the Similan Islands (depending on season). Also beaches are amazing here.

Getting to and from Krabi we flew from Bangkok to Krabi airport for Ao Nang and from Khao Lak we flew up from Phuket to Bangkok.

I'd do both again.

Regards

Jim

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
6. Re: Khao Lak or Krabi .... Maybe both?

Khao Lak and Krabi are very different geographically and are a popular twin centre choice for that and other reasons. Khao Lak has over 25km of beautiful beaches with two main townships, Bang La On, the largest with many restaurants, shops and bars, with Nang Thong Beach just down from the highway which runs through Khao Lak, and Bang Niang 10 minutes north up the highway with also many restaurants, bars, small sops and the large three afternoons a week market, on the highway and down the Beach Road (now becoming known as Food Street because of number and variety of restaurants) to Bang Niang Beach. As well as its own beaches it is the centre for tours both day and overnight to the Similan and Surin Islands and Koh Tachai; to Khao Sok National Park where you can stay in a tree house or further east on a floating raft house on the awesome Cheow Lan Lake; to Phang Nga Bay (home of the famous James Bond Island) where you can enjoy a trip out into the bay with a side trip in a sea canoe into the mangroves and Hongs (hidden lagoons inside the karsts (limestone "islands"); Even to Krabi if you want to stay only in Khao Lak.

Plenty of information in the Top Question FAQs on the right and pics of Khao Lak's various beaches from November to date at tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k… and popular things to do at tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k… This includes pics of the popular 4 Islands Tour in Krabi.

You will be able to get more information on Krabi on that forum from the regulars there.

For suggestions about accommodation in Khao Lak, first have a look at the FAQ on maps to show you the various areas in more detail, then this list of most of the accommodation there www.seadragondivecenter.com/accommodation.htm and post here your budget for accommodation and type of location (on the beach, near the beach, secluded but with restaurants nearby or near to main areas) so that some suggestions can be offered. Booking.com is a good source of competitive quotes for nearly all the accommodation.

Zhuhai, Guangdong...
Level Contributor
28 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: Khao Lak or Krabi .... Maybe both?

Khao Lak does have nice beaches, although I wouldn't say they are stunning. I did find Krabi's Phra Nang Beach stunning, though. A lot of it depends on what appeals to you. The towering karst peaks in Krabi did more for me than anything Khao Lak had to offer. You'll have to battle a very busy highway running through Khao Lak, and the walkways along the side of the road are narrow. At the same time, you can take a trip to Tachai Island, just over an hour from Khao Lak by speedboat, and find a near perfect beach with absolute powdery sand.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
177 posts
16 reviews
8. Re: Khao Lak or Krabi .... Maybe both?

I have been to Krabi twice, and Khao lak once. There are plenty of spots to eat a both but not a great deal of options for bars and partying. There are some but its pretty limited (doesn't bother me).

Ao Nang is a great hub to go to many islands and day trips. Ao Nang beach you never know what you're gonna get. In Oct 2013 when i went it was very average, very murky water, but still beaitful ocean sunsets etc. In Oct 2014 the same beach (just passing through for 2 days) looked crystal blue/green and quite beautiful. I was gob smacked it was the same beach. So i assume it depends on the weather patterns etc

Khao Lak has lots of long stretches of each all easily accessible on a scooter. Its a lot more long and drawn out than Ao Nang, along the ocean, and its more blue. They are very different areas, both growing in popularity and infrastructure, but relatively speaking still on the small/quieter side.

There are probably more and better excursions from Ao Nang, but Khao Lak does have access to the Similieans part of the year.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
9. Re: Khao Lak or Krabi .... Maybe both?

See here for pics of thigs to do in and around Khao Lak tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k… and many more in the Top Question FAQs on the right.

10. Re: Khao Lak or Krabi .... Maybe both?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2016, 10:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak