We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worth taking a pram?

Holgate, Australia
8 posts
Save Topic
Worth taking a pram?

HI,

Would love your advice and suggestions..

We are travelling with our 3 year old son and staying in Khao Lak for 3 weeks.

Am considering taking the pram for my 3 year old - for late nights walking home

from restaurants / markets etc. Possible afternoon nap on the go.

And we are staying at the Ramada and the Sands.

But is there room on the footpaths for a pram or would it be better to take a baby carrier and carry him?

Thanks

Jena

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,401 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worth taking a pram?

Many people with young children bring baby buggies or strollers and navigate the sidewalks or edge of road if there are none with no problem. From the Sands through to the centre of Bang La On there are no sidewalks but there are from that point to the far end of town. From the Ramada to the beach road, only a short distance, there are no sidewalks but there are on the beach road and up to and on the highway.

Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
598 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worth taking a pram?

I think a pram would, at best, be inconvenient due to: obstructions, unevenness of the sidewalks (where they exist) and curbs. I think it would be downright dangerous in areas where there are no sidewalks and you are forced to push it on the road.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,401 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worth taking a pram?

Sorry to disagree with CM but as a long term visitor to Khai Lak over the past several years for the whole of the High Season and throughout Khai Lak I stand by my previous comments about the areas specifically mentioned. Perhaps when he visits in the High Season for the first time he may revise his view. There is just as much, or little, depending on which way you look at it, walking pushing a buggy on the sidewalk or edge of the road as there is carrying a child. In both cases common sense and awareness by a careful parent of what is going on around you and beneath your feet in any circumstances or conditions are most important.

We are here now and compared to previous years the safety for prdestrians Borg with and without children, again specifically in the areas the OP intends to stay in, has increased significantly. Of course, you could bring a stroller and decide for yourself after you arrive.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,161 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worth taking a pram?

Definitely take a pram/stroller - a lightweight, fold up one is a good idea. I usually tell people to do this even when visiting Bangkok, trying to carry a tired, hot and heavy baby/toddler around is no fun for anyone and the baby can sit in the stroller whilst you are eating and allow you that extra time out in the evening.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
164 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worth taking a pram?

We were in Khao Lak in Jan and took a light weight buggy for our 2 yr and managed to carry our 3.5 yr old about. We will be taking the buggy back again wen we go in Jan again even though our kids will be 4.5 & 3. It much easier (and safer I think) to push young children in a buggy in evening that try and carry them especially when they want to be in among everything. Also the buggy is really good for 'containing' them when they get tired and may extend your evening a bit. Saying that we never made it past 8 pm as our 2 sleep demons were definitely 'expired' by then.

Also buggy is good for going through airport. Nothing worse than trying to hold on to a motorised bag of spuds when trying to get an airport unscathed!

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
598 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Worth taking a pram?

Those who have used a pram would know better than me. Naturally, you will be careful... but take extra precaution on that part of the main road where there is no sidewalk - from The Sands toward the centre of Bang La On. I was once forced to jump into the 'bushes' to avoid being hit by oncoming traffic. If I'd been pushing a stroller, I don't know if I'd have been able to get it out of the way.

Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
598 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worth taking a pram?

On re-reading my post immediately above, I can see how "Those who have used a pram would know better than me" could be misinterpreted to be a sarcastic comment. It is not. I mean it literally.

Melbourne, Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Worth taking a pram?

definitely can use pram or stroller. We took a stroller (we went for 3 weeks about a month ago) and although it is difficult in some areas to push as the wheels aren't great for gravel and uneven roads/footpaths (we have a Maclaren) it is still safer than kids at that age walking by themselves. Pram would be better for pushing, however would be more inconvenient once you enter any restaurants and/or markets/shops as they are generally bigger than strollers (and cant be folded up).

Either way, carrying a child would not be any fun....especially if you have a reasonably heavy child like we do. Especially considering how hot/humid it can get, even at night time

Erina, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Worth taking a pram?

Thank you all for your messages. We will definitely take our pram then. It will be good to have to put water, handbag in etc too.

And thanks for warning to be careful.

:)

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Worth taking a pram?

Hi we are staying at the Sands at the moment with our 3 year old and 4.5 year old and we have found it to be ok without the buggy. We have gotten a taxi from the hotel to the main street for 100 baht or more often we have walked with the girls and held tightly onto their hands (obviously with us between them and the road) I would definitely bring the smallest stroller that you can find and even stick some reflectors on it for night time walks :-) oh and bring some good thick soled sandals for your little ones as the ground is pretty rough. Have a brill time!

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations