We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Lak Advice please

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Khao Lak Advice please

Hi folks, we arrived in Khao Lak yesterday and we're staying at the Sands. We booked half board (with 2 young girls we thought thus would be easier) but dinner tonight was a Pre set menu of 3 Thai options and 3 western. I'm really gutted to say that the food just wasn't up to the usual Thai standard that we're used too. My hubby and I are devastated as one of the main reasons we keep coming back to Thailand (usually Ko Samui) is the food. Can anyone recommend where we should eat which is close to the Sands? Also where should we head out to to see the best of Khao Lak? We ventured out of the hotel for a stroll (turned right) and I was a little underwhelmed :-( we usually stay on Bophut beach in Samui and we love the Fishermans Village for its gorgeous restaurants, shops, markets and at the moment I feel like maybe we should've stuck to what we know. I would love to fall in love with Khao Lak too.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Ko Samui
Ko Samui
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Bophut
Bophut
Ko Samui, Thailand
Little Italy
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, Italian, Pizza, Barbecue
Pam's Restaurant & Bar
₹, Seafood, Asian, Thai
Siam Turmeric
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, Seafood, Fast food, Deli
Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
598 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Khao Lak Advice please

Khao Lak (Bang La On township) can't really be compared to Koh Samui's Fisherman's Village - it's sort of an 'apples & oranges' thing.

Good restaurants close to The Sands:

Thai - DDee Coffee House (next to Raya Divers)

Fusion - Smile

German - Tiffy's Cafe

English pub fare - Walkers Inn (not really close - 20 min. walk to the south end of Bang La On).

These are only my favourites of the ones I've tried.

Alternatively, you could take a taxi 5 min. north (or walk on the beach) to Bang Niang where there are many restaurants with an even greater selection of different cuisines.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
DDee Coffee House
DDee Coffee House
277 Reviews
Khuk Khak, Thailand
Tiffy's Cafe
Tiffy's Cafe
316 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Walkers Inn
Walkers Inn
504 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,391 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Khao Lak Advice please

The Sands is ideally located at the northern end of Bang La On, the main township of Khao Lak which has upwards of a hundred restaurants, bars and shops and only. 10 minutes by taxi from Bang Niang which has perhaps not as many but the most diverse range of cuisines, Southern Thai, Northern Thai, seafood, Mexican, German, Japanese, Swedish, steakhouses, Italian and far cheaper than resort restaurants. Pity you booked half-board. Can you swap dinner for lunch as that would give you more and better options?

First impressions are not always lasting impressions.

Because of the clampdown on illegal commercial activities on public beaches by the military government many beach restaurants have been removed, not only in Khao Lak but all over Thailand including on Koh Samui.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Khao Lak Advice please

Thanks guys! I've been reading the forum for a long time and trust your advice. Would you recommend walking up the beach with little ones to Bang Niang? Do you know of any maps of Khao Lak with the Sands shown? I've looked on the map section but I just can't see the Sands or figure out exactly where we are. I hope the weather picks up too it's cloudy and showery :-(

Mentioned in this post
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
1,642 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Khao Lak Advice please

issuu.com/khaolakmagazine/docs/kl_mag_i3_nov…

There are maps in here

Linda

Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
598 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Khao Lak Advice please

There are excellent maps in the latest issue of Khao Lak Magazine -

issuu.com/khaolakmagazine/docs/kl_mag_i3_nov…

p.17 for a Khao Lak overview map;

Map 3, p.98 for Nang Thong Beach with The Sands near the top.

It took me 40 min. to walk on the beach from The Sands to The Ramada at Bang Niang. I'm sure with little ones it would take longer. It took me much longer coming back... but only because I stopped at Peter Bar. ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Nang Thong Beach
Nang Thong Beach
71 Reviews
Takua Pa, Thailand
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Peter Bar & Restaurant
Peter Bar & Restaurant
494 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
598 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Khao Lak Advice please

Linda,

I don't mean to 'echo' - I swear your post was not showing when I posted (even though I 'refreshed' the page). This has happened twice in last couple of days. I wonder if some posts get delayed on the TA server before they show?

Edited: 25 November 2014, 05:14
Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
1,642 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Khao Lak Advice please

LOL no problem

Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
598 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Khao Lak Advice please

I suppose it just goes to show that great minds think alike. ;-)

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,391 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Khao Lak Advice please

Yes but you missed the links to the maps that already exist and have been added by our resident cartographer in the Maps FAQs. The latest interactive map shows all the beach areas, albeit they are in the process of being updated after the removal of certain beach restaurants. ;-)

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Khao Lak Advice please

Also, great Thai food at Orchid Café, up the driveway turn right walk 30 metres, its the first café you come to. It looks rustic but the food cooked out the front in the thatched roof hut is amazing.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket Orchid Resort & Spa
Phuket Orchid Resort...
754 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak