We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

High Season 'Virgin'

Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
598 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
High Season 'Virgin'

I've spent approximately three months in Khao Lak over the past three years; however, ONLY in low season - July/August. I'm 'going back' in mid-January 2015 for almost two months.

Other than more people and more sun (hopefully), am I going to be surprised by any significant differences between low and high seasons?

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,450 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: High Season 'Virgin'

More restaurants and bars open, more choice of tours or places to go without risk of bad road conditions if DIY. Beaches less deserted. Otherwise more or less same, same - perfect!

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: High Season 'Virgin'

And a better chance of finding one of those,,,,,,,

great little restos that perhaps are not open in the green season

Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
598 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: High Season 'Virgin'

Ooooo, "perfect" sounds... perfect. :-)

What is the road like between Takuapa and Khao Sok National Park? I've booked three nights there in mid-February and am thinking of riding (probably a Honda Click) up & back to Bang Niang.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Sok National Park
Khao Sok National Park
1,138 Reviews
Surat Thani, Thailand
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,450 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: High Season 'Virgin'

It is a straightforward ride but frequented by fast trucks, buses and other vehicles with relatively few travelling that distance on a scooter in the full glare of the sun. I wouldn't do it but then again I wouldn't ride 5 minutes on a scooter let alone the 90 it will probably take to Khao Sok Village or at least another hot from there if you are going to the pier at Cheow Lan Lake.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Sok National Park
Khao Sok National Park
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
598 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: High Season 'Virgin'

Hmm... I was wondering if a Click would have enough power on the hills... and to get out of any (probably inevitable) 'tight spots' caused by crazy Thai (or farang) drivers. I've had lots of experience on motorcycles all over the world... and will be riding around Laos the week before going to Khao Lak - but that will be on a 'real' (enduro-style, on/off road) bike.

I've only ridden as far as Takuapa on a scooter before. Perhaps I'd better re-think this.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,450 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: High Season 'Virgin'

200 baht a day for an uninsured scooter. 800 - 1000 baht (possibly less for a small, fully insured car with AirCon. ????

Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
598 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: High Season 'Virgin'

That's all??? In that case, I'll rent a car for four days to go to Khao Sok - it's much safer and won't have to worry about getting caught in possible afternoon thunderstorms. I'll still rent a scooter for tootling back & forth to Bang Niang/Bang La On from the resort.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Sok National Park
Khao Sok National Park
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,450 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: High Season 'Virgin'

If you have time and the inclination you could call in at the Romanee Hot Springs, well signposted on the left of the highway about 15 - 20 minutes before reaching Khao Sok Village. Enjoy a refreshing hot soak in naturally fed hot springs. See issuu.com/khaolakmagazine/docs/kl_mag_i3_nov…

Mentioned in this post
Khao Sok National Park
Khao Sok National Park
Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
598 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: High Season 'Virgin'

I LOVE hotsprings! Great issue of KLM with some really good maps. I have to ask - on what page is the information on Romanee Hot Springs? I've been through the magazine three times and can't find it.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,450 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: High Season 'Virgin'

It's not on there. The info I posted was based on our visit early this year. The link in my previous post gives you the information.

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak