We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thailand Tsunami 10th Memorial Plans

Karlsruhe, Germany
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Topic
Thailand Tsunami 10th Memorial Plans

The Thai government will organize a remembrance event entitled “Ten Years on: Remembering the Indian Ocean Tsunami” on 26-27 December 2014.

thailand.prd.go.th/view_news.php?id=7509&a=2

and

phuketwan.com/tourism/…

"On December 26 a multi-religious service and Buddhist merit-making is expected to take place at the Patrol Boat memorial in Khao Lak in early morning. This will be followed about 5pm by a commemoration involving a sea of candlelight around the Patrol Boat."

Karlsruhe, Germany
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Thailand Tsunami 10th Memorial Plans

I cant’t believe this news in Phuket Gazette:

Phuket to hold full-scale tsunami drill on Christmas Day

phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/…ad-image-0

Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
598 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thailand Tsunami 10th Memorial Plans

Why not? I think it's good to have drills; and earthquakes/tsunamis can happen irrespective of any date on the human calendar.

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
3,277 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thailand Tsunami 10th Memorial Plans

I agree cruisemonkey. The last time we stayed in Patong (6 years ago), there was a tsunami drill and test of the tannoy system and you should have heard the number of people complaining about it for days after. We couldn't believe that we had to remind quite a few people who were complaining why the drills were happening.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thailand Tsunami 10th Memorial Plans

Of course it is good to have drills but the day before the 10th Anniversary of this dreadful event when a very special memorial service is going to be held; when families, friends, loved ones and survivors of that dreadful day are coming to Khao Lak, the worst affected area in Thailand and other areas like Phuket. The Memorial Service and other ceremonies will be poignant enough reminders without a Tsunami Alert to really being home the horrors of that day.

I think it is a completely insensitive event and anyone with any affinity to the affected areas and the feelings of those present who have been touched in any way will abhor the organisers for their crass lack of feelings. There have been warnings, alerts and practices before but never near the actual event. Why now?

Karlsruhe, Germany
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Thailand Tsunami 10th Memorial Plans

@Alan you are talking to me from my heart.

I support completely the tsunami drill, but the date (26.12.) I find very insensitive to people who have experienced the tsunami 10 years before that.

Many people will come who have experienced the catastrophe on their own bodily 10 years before. Many will also want to remember the dead, they have lost.

What's going on in these people when they have to flee on that day?

(Sorry about my bad english)

Edited: 21 November 2014, 20:10
Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
598 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thailand Tsunami 10th Memorial Plans

Would you still feel the same about having a drill on the 25th if there was a tsunami on the 26th?

London, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thailand Tsunami 10th Memorial Plans

if that's your logic cm why not have it on the 20th then.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Thailand Tsunami 10th Memorial Plans

@cruisemonkey,

on 26/12/2004 I have lost many friends, German and Thai. I survived ...

I repeat: Tsunami drills are very important. But why a day before the ceremony? That day is already my heart full of horrible thoughts. I really do not need a tsunami exercise.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thailand Tsunami 10th Memorial Plans

Come on CM. That is a completely fatuous comment and unworthy of anyone who professes to have any feeling for the Community of Khao Lak.There have been drills before and there will be more drills to come. What are the chances of another Tsunami on the same date or the next day as the previous one? You have been in the Wet Season, you are coming for the first time in the Dry Season. Have you had a drill.? What are the chances of a Tsunami whenever you are anyone else comes to Khao Lak or any area in the world where there have been or there may be Tsunamis in the future? Do you have any connection whatsoever with people in Khao Lak, whether Thai or ex-pat, with anyone who lost someone in the Tsunami. or survived it, and whose feelings are still raw 10 years later and feel so deeply offended by this event? I have the utmost sympathy for the good people of Phuket and the Tsunami survivors/visitors who will be subjected to this drill and hope and pray that it does not upset them as I am sure it would with any of my many friends in the Khao Lak Community if it took place there.

The Thais may have an entirely different view of death and its impact on them but that is no reason to condone or ignore the impact on people of other nationalities and religions,

Edited: 21 November 2014, 22:15
Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
598 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thailand Tsunami 10th Memorial Plans

The chance of a tsunami on December 26 is the same as it was in 2004. I think if we could ask the victims who lost their lives in that tragic event, they would say a drill the day before the anniversary is a good thing.

I apologize if my comments offend or upset anyone. They are not intended to be fatuous or crass.

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak