We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shall I book now?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
101 posts
3 reviews
Shall I book now?

Hi,

I've decided (after asking for advice on here - thanks) to book the holiday myself and not use a travel agent. We're going to Phuket for a couple of nights then onto The Sands and finally to the Marriott for five nights. I'm looking at booking the Khao Lak part of the holiday through Booking.com and Phuket through Travel Republic (a lot cheaper than Booking for the hotel we want.) So my questions are - do you think using the two agents is ok, shall I book the flights first (I've seen a Thai Airways flight for £600 - is this an ok price?) and finally, we're going mid February, shall I wait to book or do it now?

Sorry to ask so many questions - but any responses will be gratefully appreciated.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Shall I book now?

There is already a discussion ongoing about falling prices mainly for accommodation in this topic tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

However, if you are getting good prices now for both Phuket and Khao Lak for the standard and location of accommodation you are looking for and happy to book, personally I don't think there will be a substantial further reduction in current prices. As for flights, is the £600 include return flights to and from Phuket? If so, I think it is a good price. I booked ours in May, albeit for a different duration and flying into Bangkok and back from Phuket at £575 with Qatar in May as soon as they were announced. That was £65 less than we paid last year. Since then they have never fallen and have gone up as high as £800 for the same flight. With Qatar's current "special offer" they are now at £656. If you wait you take a chance. If you are satisfied with the overall price now for what you want, where you want and when you want to go, book and forget! If you are totally flexible and want to take a chance on cheaper flights with possibly more difficult connections and different hotels at possibly different dates, then the risk is yours.

Good luck.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
101 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Shall I book now?

Thanks Alan for the prompt response. I think we'll book it now rather than waiting. Would you book the flights first before the accommodation?

Just noticed that Expedia are now doing the book now, pay at the hotel, just like Booking.com et al.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: Shall I book now?

I usually book flights first but our accommodation arrangements are pretty flexible. Just a suggestion and although I usually recommend DIY and booking flights and accommodation yourself, try Trailfinders who we have used very successfully and very competitively before. If you tell them your dates, flights and various accommodation and get them to quote for it all, they usually will match, if not beat, others for accommodation (as long as it is generally available) and have great flight prices. You can make your own transfer arrangements in Thailand if theirs are high later. Worth a try with prices being so competitive at the moment.

los alcazares
Level Contributor
498 posts
47 reviews
4. Re: Shall I book now?

I booked a flight with Emirates for the end of February returning Three weeks later. I only booked it a couple of weeks ago. Flying from Madrid to Phuket. When I got my English Bank Statement, the flight with the current exchange Euro to GBP, the fight cost me 454 pounds. This the cheapest I have ever flown to Thailand. If I had flown to Bangkok, the flight was only 3 euros cheaper, than to Phuket. Normally to Bangkok we would have paid 540 pounds or there about. Even flying from Manchester, we never got it this cheap. Obviously the exchange rate Euro to GBP is higher so this reduces the price. I had no plans to go to Thailand next year, but this was such a bargain, I couldn't resist it. But like you say the flights can go up, Emirates had an offer on and I received the News Letter to advise me of this.

I have booked hotel's for holidays where I have used different Booking sites to get the best deal. If you can cancel your bookings without being charged, if the price comes down you can cancel and rebook at the cheaper price. If you don't book and things go up, you will either not go, or your holiday will be a lot more expensive. So if you are happy with the price go for it. It might be worth checking Emirates to see what the prices from London are like. There might still be an offer.

los alcazares
Level Contributor
498 posts
47 reviews
5. Re: Shall I book now?

Yes I have heard about Trailfinders, before someone I know did a Round the World holiday with them and she was more than happy with the price. I don't know how that would work for me, living in Spain. I suppose they could sell me a ticket from Madrid same as selling me it from Manchester.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
6. Re: Shall I book now?

You can't book on-line with Trailfinders so you will need to phone them or request a Call Back from them to find out.

los alcazares
Level Contributor
498 posts
47 reviews
7. Re: Shall I book now?

Thanks for that information. I will try them in future.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
101 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Shall I book now?

Thanks for all the responses, they've been really helpful. I contacted Trailfinders and they did a quote, but doing it independantly is coming out cheaper. They were very helpful and very prompt. I think I'm going to do the booking myself (I like the idea of paying when I get to the hotels) and use Boss for the transfers only part I was wary of was the booking of the flights - but reading others comments has given me more confident. I do it for holidays in Europe but being a bit of a wimp for long haul!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
9. Re: Shall I book now?

Good luck!

10. Re: Shall I book now?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2015, 10:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak