We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best snorkeling day trip in January?

Karratha
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best snorkeling day trip in January?

We will be in Khao Lak in January. I will be 6 months pregnant and so can't dive. I would like to go snorkelling instead, we also have a 2 year old. I can see day trips for either the Similians, Koh Prathong or a Combination trip of Tachai and Prathong. Like most people I would prefer the smaller group and quieter beaches, after the most relaxing day while also doing some decent snorkelling.

Thanks!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best snorkeling day trip in January?

6 months pregnant and a 2 year old going on a fast and potentially bumpy speedboat trip lasting over an hour each way! Are you sure? Most people go on group trips of 30-40 people. The combination Tachai plus Koh Prathong trip is a new one so can't comment on numbers on that yet.

Karratha
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best snorkeling day trip in January?

Well no I'm not sure! I will be checking the weather closer to the day, I do a lot of boating in the open sea here and last time was still out 2 days before giving birth with a belly support on. Maybe I'm dreaming for now will have to see how I feel by January :) Just checking out the options.

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best snorkeling day trip in January?

Having done 3 separate day trips , you might want to re consider

all 3 were on what could be described as just about perfect weather days, but still plenty of bumps, inc quite unexpected ones..

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best snorkeling day trip in January?

"I will be checking the weather closer to the day" - although January is one of the best months of the year and the ocean when you leave can be calm, it can change during the course of the day. We went to the Similans and the outward journey was as flat as a mill pond. On our return the sea had roughened up and at times when the boat it a wave we were going up when the boat was coming down. You are either sat in the prow of the boat, not recommended, or on a bench seat either side of the cabin or along the stern. Seriously, very difficult to hang on yourself let alone someone to hang on to a 2 year old. Currently as a result of the sinking of a speedboat on the way back from Phi Phi to Phuket following a collision with tragic loss of life, a great deal of attention is being given to improving the safety of passengers on speedboat trip.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best snorkeling day trip in January?

Hi whitey80, I've been looking at something similar as I could be in the same boat (no pun intended) but 4 months and I don't want to go to khao lak and not get out to the similan islands so I found this group and have had a few emails with Stephan at info@seadragondivecentre.com, they stated the biggest chalenge is getting into the dinghy from the main boat to the beach, perhaps you could send them an email? Not sure what the tour company is like so maybe Arandora or Cruisemonkey might know of them? They look to have a bigger boat instead of a speedboat but will take longer to get to their destinations. www.seadragondivecentre.com pleaSe let me know how you get on and when you get back if you ended up going and who with, will be great info to have. Cheers!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best snorkeling day trip in January?

Sea Dragon are the longest established Dive Company in Khao Lak. Although essentially offering liveaboard dive tours they now offer a day tour for divers and snorkellers on their larger and more comfortable dive boat MV Nam Sai. See details at seadragondivecenter.com/similan-islands-dayt…

The sea trip is slower and more time on the boat than on the islands.

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best snorkeling day trip in January?

My wife is also going to be in the same boat, being about 7 months pregnant in February when we are there.

I have been in contact with snorkelling Thailand, who offer speedboat tours and also a slow boat snorkel tour.

They said that my wife wouldn't be allowed on the speedboat as its too bumpy, but would be fine on the showboat.

The tour sounds good and details are here: snorkelingthailand.com/similan-snorkeling-da…

hope this helps

David

8. Re: Best snorkeling day trip in January?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2016, 11:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations