We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Agents vs On line

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
101 posts
3 reviews
Travel Agents vs On line

Hi,

Going back to Khao Lak in February and I've always gone through Trailfinders and never had any problems with this. I notice on this forum many book their trips themselves, I'm just wondering if anyone can let me know which way is cheaper and also the best sites to go on or do I contact the hotels directly?

Many thanks

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
13,439 posts
169 reviews
1. Re: Travel Agents vs On line

I mainly use booking.com for booking hotels, but also check Agoda, Expedia, hotels.com, Directrooms to compare prices, reviews etc, along with the TA hotel reviews. I've never booked direct with a hotel

For flights, I use Skyscanner to check prices, schedules etc, but always book direct with the airline

Edited: 02 November 2014, 17:39
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
736 posts
62 reviews
2. Re: Travel Agents vs On line

Hi Bristol,

I'm from oz but I presume things are the same there, I mostly book online myself but always ask for a quote from a Travel agent before i book as well to see prices. TA will push you towards certain hotels & they may have good deals but it may not be where you want.

Decide where you want to go, when you want to go, how you want to go. Go to a TA, get a price then Google the sh^t out of it, make dummy bookings get the price & compare.

cheers

rob

Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
598 posts
25 reviews
3. Re: Travel Agents vs On line

As well as as many booking booking sites as you can 'Google up', always check directly with the hotel. Some are the same, some are more and some are less.

Princetown, United...
Level Contributor
266 posts
46 reviews
4. Re: Travel Agents vs On line

hi,

another fan of sky scanner for prices

we always book direct with airlines

and the same goes with the hotel booking,

we had trouble when we booked through an agent a few years back, and it,s a case of once bitten twice shy,

love booking this way, just bare in mind that when booking flights, they have to paid in full at the time of booking, hotels just ask for a small deposit, then settle in full when you leave

norwich
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
32 reviews
5. Re: Travel Agents vs On line

Hi, we always book direct with the airlines but use alpha rooms or travel republic for hotels, travelbag are competitive as well

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
101 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Travel Agents vs On line

Thanks for all your responses, really helpful. I have booked holidays in Europe myself but for some strange reason more nervous about Asia! Will spend this arvo doing some research.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
7. Re: Travel Agents vs On line

We always book independently, flights using Skyscanner for search then book direct with airline plus accommodation direct for accommodation for most of hotel (as we are long term stayers) plus search booking sites for accommodation if we go on mini-breaks.

However, I have used Trailfinders and they usually will match if not beat best price for accommodation you find and you can book reliably with then at good prices for flights.

8. Re: Travel Agents vs On line

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2015, 11:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak