We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are travellers prepaid money cards accepted in most places?

Llanelli, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Are travellers prepaid money cards accepted in most places?

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice regarding prepaid travellers money cards please. I've read the top questions about Khao Lak, and the very helpful post about currency, but can't see anything about the cards (only about travellers cheques).

I'm just wondering if the prepaid cards you can get, from the Post Office etc, are accepted in places in Khao Lak? We will be getting cash also but are unsure about getting all our spending money in cash due to the risk of loss/theft.

Thanks a lot

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
7,984 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Are travellers prepaid money cards accepted in most places?

As long as they are issued by one of the big systems, they will be OK to use in Thailand. Be sure the card has the logo for Visa or MasterCard or American Express on it, as most Thais will look for that if they don't recognize the card. American Express acceptance is more limited, so their travel cards are likewise not widely accepted (but big hotels usually do).

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
2. Re: Are travellers prepaid money cards accepted in most places?

There are a number of ATMs throughout Khao Lak which will accept Visa/Mastercard cards including pre-paid cards to draw cash. Withdrawals will be subject to the Thai bank 180 baht fee applied to other cards. Cards of any kind are not widely accepted in payment for goods or services except in some hotels. Bear in mind that if you have any unused balance left on your card after you return, depending on the card issuer, there may be fees if you don't use the balance in a certain period and there are fees if you need to top up on-line. You will get a lesser rate of exchange when you add cash to the card and draw it out than you will for just cash and in relation to security if you only exchange cash as you go along and leave the rest locked away with your valuables in your case/in-room safe/hotel safe until you need it, you should be fine. Look after cash on your person as you would anywhere.

Hope this helps.

perth
Level Contributor
768 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: Are travellers prepaid money cards accepted in most places?

I still state cash is gold

khao lak
Level Contributor
272 posts
1 review
4. Re: Are travellers prepaid money cards accepted in most places?

i can tell you this,i have a lot of youngsters use the post office,and have had difficulty getting money,it does not seem to be the best way

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
4,158 posts
119 reviews
5. Re: Are travellers prepaid money cards accepted in most places?

Would agree that cash is king.

Regards

Jim

Llanelli, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
6. Re: Are travellers prepaid money cards accepted in most places?

Thank you everyone for your replies :) I think we'll be getting some money in cash and the rest as we go along.

7. Re: Are travellers prepaid money cards accepted in most places?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2015, 09:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak