We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

White Sands Beach - should we book for Xmas Day?

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
795 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
White Sands Beach - should we book for Xmas Day?

Hi we are wanting to spend Xmas Day at White Sands Beach - should we book a table at the restaurant or will it be ok just to turn up for the day??

Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
598 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: White Sands Beach - should we book for Xmas Day?

Why not 'play it safe' and make a reservation for a table? But, before you do, check to make sure your hotel is not charging (something like) 4000 baht/head for a compulsory Christmas dinner.

Edited: 30 October 2014, 15:09
Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
795 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: White Sands Beach - should we book for Xmas Day?

What's up with that sort of response cruisemonkey??!!

Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
598 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: White Sands Beach - should we book for Xmas Day?

Lots of hotels/resorts have compulsory Christmas (and New Years Eve) dinners.

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,839 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: White Sands Beach - should we book for Xmas Day?

Becstar not sure what was wrong with cruise monkeys response? Many places do have a compulsory very expensive Christmas and/or NYE dinner that you must pay for whether you are there or not. I think it was s good thing for him to point out.

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,839 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: White Sands Beach - should we book for Xmas Day?

Becstar not sure what was wrong with cruise monkeys response? Many places do have a compulsory very expensive Christmas and/or NYE dinner that you must pay for whether you are there or not. I think it was s good thing for him to point out.

Just realised that the post was edited so maybe I'm not reading what you were?

Either way, what an awesome way to spend Christmas Day, I'm sure you will have an amazing time :)

Copenhagen Region...
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: White Sands Beach - should we book for Xmas Day?

Nothing wrong with cruise monkeys response. Actually becstar's 2. post is not very nice, when people just try to help you.

It is very common at hotels, that have a lot of foreigners visiting, have compulsory X-mas dinners.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: White Sands Beach - should we book for Xmas Day?

There are three bungalow resorts on White Sand Beach, each with their own restaurant and each with different types of dining facilities, table and chair or dining huts. Also I would think that the bungalows will be pretty full over Xmas and New Year and guests there will be reserving their non-compulsory tables. So I would advise an advance trip to scope out which location/dining type you prefer and make a reservation to suit. Be aware that we made a reservation last year at another beach restaurant just down the coast for 3pm - not so that we could watch the Queen's Speech ;-) - but had to postpone it until nearly 6pm because it was just too hot to dine in full sun. It was much more comfortable to dine latter over sunset.

Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
598 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: White Sands Beach - should we book for Xmas Day?

Just Allie,

There were no substantive changes when I edited my first post. I don't really understand Becstar21's response.

CM

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: White Sands Beach - should we book for Xmas Day?

I've found that sometimes well meaning comments are taken as unnecessary. Usually advice about Compulsory Gala Diiner charges for Xmas and New Year are made before someone has booked their accommodation. When they go ahead and book those charges are usually pretty clear.

Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
598 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: White Sands Beach - should we book for Xmas Day?

Arandora,

I guess... however, I was at a 5-star resort (in Indonesia mind you) over New Years several years ago and the expensive compulsory gala dinner was in the booking 'fine print'. Most guests knew about it, but at least one didn't - there was a lot of yelling & screaming!

CM

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak