We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 Nights @ JW Marriott, renting a car - good idea? Day trips

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
107 posts
18 reviews
5 Nights @ JW Marriott, renting a car - good idea? Day trips

Hi there!

My wife and I are going to be visiting the JW in Khao Lak in December for five nights. I've scanned these forums, and based on the feedback, it seems like it is not a bad idea to rent a car. I booked a rental through Hertz Thailand. I have some things I'd like confirmation on / suggestions!

- International Drivers Permit. I believe that as long as I have a United States Drivers License in English, I should be okay. Right? I just want to make sure I'm prepared

- Safety driving around / parking in Khao Lak. We'll obviously not leave any belongings in the car. Is it pretty safe to park the car wherever we go?

- Does anyone have a good recommendation for a day trip?

- We'll be picking the car up late at night. My understanding is that I should hear from Hertz in terms of how to arrange a late-night pickup.

- Are there other things I'm not considering? THANKS!

-Kevin

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
736 posts
62 reviews
1. Re: 5 Nights @ JW Marriott, renting a car - good idea? Day trips

Hi Kevin,

Just returned from KL & we hired a car thru Budget, heard good things about Hertz as well.

IMO, better to be safe & get a Intl drivers licence.

KL is a great area to drive in & safe as it can be for Thailand, as you stated be careful with belongings etc etc when & where you park.

See some suggested drives here: tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g297914-c167750/Kha… we did the KKK Island trip, Tsunami Memorial/cemetery (Dont bother with the cemetery) Khao Sok/Ratpacha Dam drive (very long day but beautiful area, consider an overnight stay) & we took a drive down south.

Most of our drives were adhoc based on the suggested drives but made up as we went.

Frequent visitor to Thailand & this was the first time we have hired a car as we believe there really is no need in Phuket etc but Khao Lak because of the size of the area would be good. We would not hesitate to hire a car again & venture further as we loved the freedom.

Cheers

Rob

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
107 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: 5 Nights @ JW Marriott, renting a car - good idea? Day trips

Thanks, Rob! In terms of the international drivers license, where do I acquire one? Thanks so much for your advice!!

Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
598 posts
25 reviews
3. Re: 5 Nights @ JW Marriott, renting a car - good idea? Day trips

They'll rent you a car without an International Driver's Permit, but it's your responsibility to comply with the law and you may find, if you are in an accident (without an IDP), your insurance is void.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
736 posts
62 reviews
4. Re: 5 Nights @ JW Marriott, renting a car - good idea? Day trips

Hi Kevin,

Your countries Automobile Club or similar?

Maybe google for USA. As cruise monkey said, they will rent without one but to be safe & comply with Thai law i would endeavor to get one.

One more thing, you ask should you hear from Hertz about klate night pick up? I wouldnt wait for Hertz to contact you, i would follow this up yourselves, in saying that why not wait til the next morning anyway, clear head, daylight would be a better starting point. You wont require require a car everyday so even wait for a day or 2 to get your bearings?

Cheers

Rob

Edited: 28 October 2014, 05:39
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
5. Re: 5 Nights @ JW Marriott, renting a car - good idea? Day trips

Full information about DL requirements at tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-c133830/Thail…

I definitely fall into obtain an International Driving Permit before you arrive. There is considerable doubt about insurance implications or if police involvement. I was crashed into by a truck driven by drunken Thai and although plenty of witnesses to attest that I was completely blameless I was told by the police officer at the scene via our Budget rep that if I didn't have a Thai DL (which I do) or an IDP (which I had always used before obtaining a Thai DL even though my UK DL was in English and latterly with a photo on it) that I would have been arrested.

It is a very small price to pay to avoid any doubt and any risk.

I would agree that a late night pick-up particularly if that is from Phuket Airport is best avoided. A large part of the highway from there to Khao Lak although straightforward is unlit and just two lanes with cycle lane either side and even late at night there are lots of high speed trucks, buses and other vehicles and, worse, scooters often with no lights coming at you on the wrong side of the road. If you mean late night delivery to the JWM an early morning one would be better.

No parking problems but avoid parking in the main township of Bang La On on the highway in one "reserved" (usually with a chair!) for taxis.

6. Re: 5 Nights @ JW Marriott, renting a car - good idea? Day trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2015, 09:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak